1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orange amps, how are they??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Im looking for a good, vintage-inspired tube amp and came across the Orange Terror 1000 head and OBC810 cab. They seem legit(plus I dig the orange casing) but in comparison with the classic, time- tested (and ridiculously expensive) tube amps, how do they fare?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

They seem well regarded by their owners. Orangey and powerful, and featherweight in comparison.

Careful with used ones. There was a run of bad power capacitors failing spectacularly.

3. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Well, what are you calling a "tube amp"? The Terror 1000 is only a tube preamp, mated with a class D output section.
    It'd help to have much more clearly defined tone goals, so we can point you in a general direction at least.

4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Yup, tube preamp is close enough.
    I want that rich, lightly compressed sound that tube amps deliver. As long as I get that, Im happy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have a TB500 and two 1x15 Orange cabs. I like it as much a my vintage Hiwatts. The TB1000 will deliver what you want in spades.

7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Veryyy veryy good, if you like what they are good at. :D

They have an inherent flavor, a very very rad one, but Orange amps are only as good as the opinion of the owner regarding that flavor.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    This bit comes from a valve power section. The dirty bit comes from the preamp section.

Terror bass are good because small and light, simple hard to get wrong preamp. They don't sound like valve amps though.

9. dunnie

dunnie

I had one with the bad capacitor. The Australian agent replaced the amp beyond the (then) 12 month Australian warranty period without any quibble although the West Australian retailer's attitude was 'get lost'. The power is unbelievable and the tone is good quality British traditional bass amp. If you want toppy, clicky, snappy sounds you will need to use an outboard preamp. I am very fond of mine and it is featherweight for the power it shoves out. The supplied carry bag and strap is also very smart and tough.

10. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

I bought my TB500 because it sounds really close to an all tube amp and has serious guts. Goes from clean to very dirty in the best way possible. From what I understand the TB1000 allows for more clean tone headroom and is ridiculously powerful. As for the OBC810 I've never heard one in action. In my mind I can imagine myself plugging into one and saying "f##k yeah!"

11. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I heard a guy use an AD200B through my 410 ampeg and it KILLED.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I spent a lot of time looking at the AD200B years ago when I was into tubes, great tone, absolutely loved it and the simplicity of it, I did not like the idea of spending $3000 on one tone, no matter how much I liked it. I have not really spent time on their other offerings.

I will not recommend their cabinets, you pay top dollar for a cheaply made cabinet only because it is finished in (admittedly nice) orange tolex. I have not opened one up but I have not heard glowing reviews, do some research before buying that 810.

13. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

I pair my TB500 with an Orange SP212. Two thumbs way up in my humble opinion.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Orange makes good amps. I wouldnt spend a penny on their cabs though. For the price there are better options out there.

15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Terrors (though I do think they are generally well received), but as far as the AD200...I LOVE that amp.
    I pair it usually with the OBC410, but I also have an OBC115. The last two shows of the year we played (including on New Years)- I played on my full stack.

WOWIE! All I can say.

I agree it is hard to justify the price of a new one, however. I got the head and 15 cab used for a deal I COULD NOT pass up on and have been extremely happy I went that route. Buying new, I sincerely don't think it would've happened. I also picked up the 410 at a later date used for a good deal.

I do really like the cabs, but as you can see above there are differing opinions. They ARE priced high, but if you can find used - they are pretty fantastic, and sound great IMO.

Attached image because I'm so damn proud...
    [​IMG]

16. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Terror head 500 and sp212 as well
    Big thumbs up

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Polarizing amps/cabs for sure. People seem to LOVE them or HATE them. Personally, not a fan :(

18. bassboysam

bassboysam

If you are in Europe and looking for an all tube amp then Matamp is a much better value. Better quality and the ability to customize your amp to keet your needs if the stock models don't.

19. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Im in Nashville, TN USA…Thats right, "Music City.":meh:

20. Musicman20

Musicman20

The cabs are actually nicely voiced and pack a punch. They weigh a lot but man that OBC115 is glorious!

I fully recommend Orange if you like the tone, and more so if you are in the UK and can get them cheaper.

21. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

I love orange terror 1000 heads they are awesome thru the 4x10 great!! great tone