Orange Amps, Why Should I Buy One?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bluewine, Jan 4, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

I am in a position to by another rig.

I have always thought Orange amps were the coolest looking amp on the market.

My question, what would I be buying, what so special about them besides their good looks?

Blue
  2. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

Yes, they look cool as hell but buy one for it's sound or the sound you can get from it and not for how it looks sitting on stage behind you.

What are you planning to get, they are not cheap so choose wisely. I own an AD200b Mk3 and love it. The tone I get from it is exactly what I wanted. The head is very heavy to transport, so take that into consideration.

I'm in the process of researching a TB500 for use with my soon to arrive Glasstone 212 "Lil G" (Mini Rig of Doom). I'll be able to move both head an cab with ease and still vibrate the foundation of most gigs.

Yes, I'b a big fan of Orange gear because I like they way they sound and I've always had good experiences with playing their gear.

If serious about buying Orange, shop around. Good deals are out there.

Sepp
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I heard they are one of the most unique sounding amps on the market I'm looking to buy an Orange Combo looming for something different.
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi Blue.

If we're talking about the "Orange", You'd be buying (or rather paying for) the name.

A name that once really did mean something.

IMLE not bad amps, but just as with anything revamped that has changed hands several times over the decades, they're just not what they used to be.

But then again, what really is :(.

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

The amps are good and have their own sound
    The cabs are built well but use very thin Tolex and weigh a lot. They are priced much higher then they should be for what you get.

Bang for the buck they aren't
  7. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

Quality is an issue with Orange - you can check user reviews on google and get a belly full.

I tried and tried because I had fond memories from the 70's but no more. I am back firmly in the Fender Bassman ranks.

Secondly they cost a whole lot of money! A whole lot!!
  8. Tim1

Tim1

AD200 was my main gigging amp for a while. Fills out the bottom end nicely, good and deep but still well defined and totally reliable. It often drew me compliments for my tone (I would have preferred them for my playing) and my bandmates loved it in a three piece setting.
    I sold it recently after acquiring one of the new Fender Super Bassman 300 heads which suits me better because of its greater versatility and headroom.
  9. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    With an Orange, you become a distant leaf on a very small stick of a long twisting limb of the Geddy-heritage family tree.

That's good enough for me!
  10. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

blue,

Although you're GAS'n for a cool looking amp, for the blues/rock band you're in, you may want to look at the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 instead. The look may be more 'industrial' than 'cool', but it's a versatile, high-quality head that's under 5 lbs & with various online deals can be had new for under $600.
  11. Gommerspider

Gommerspider

Forget or pass aside the orange looks!! You will be blown away when you hear it!!!Trust me.
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The amps that had the reputation that made Orange a legendary name from the seventies where made in Yorkshire by Matamp and I would be trying to buy one of those if I wanted a proper orange amp.
    [​IMG]
    :bassist:
  13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Buying an Orange instead of a Matamp is a bit like buying a Squier instead of a Fender, but paying about the same amount.
  14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Cool,

I pretty sure I'm not going the combo route.

Blue
  15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Thanks for all the help. I hope I'm not being nostalgic from the 70s when I couldn't afford one.
  16. justBrian

justBrian Supporting Member

Hey Blue,

I just picked up a Terror Bass 500 and couldn't be happier. Coupled with my LDS 15/6 I have a light, powerful rig. Used it at rehearsal(bass, drums, keys, guitar and 2 voc) the other night and absolutely killed. It is the tone in my head--thick, rich, and wooly (if I want it to be).
  17. micgtr71

micgtr71

I'm going to be completely honest, I have only tried a few of these at GCs. I thought they were great sounding amps, but there were a few more there that sounded better to me. Even some of the mid-range price amps sounded better to me. Maybe it is my touch.
  18. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

I have just purchased a Terror 500 and am really impressed with its tone. It has huge lows, lots of clarity, growl for days, more than enough power, and a big personality!
    I do miss having a tuner output, that said the eq section is great, and I love the weight and solidity of it.
    The tone is quite aggressive, which I personally do like but may not be to everyone's taste.
    Orange customer service seems great, I spoke to them about a couple of questions that I had and they were friendly and helpful.
    I have not tried their cabs, but can testify to how good the amp sounds sat on 2x Baer ML112!
  19. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

Because you like the color?
    :bag:

It is ALL about the tone - volume can be helped with a PA but it you don't like the tone you are out!

Dan K.
  20. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Well, in that case, I'd look at the exact amps You couldn't afford back then rather than the more recent offerings that mostly just ride on the nostalgia and the name. And the looks ;).

Regards
    Sam
  21. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Absolutely no sense in going off half cocked! as they say, The old orange Matamp 200 was a rare thing of great beauty.:bassist:
    [​IMG]
    Now that's the Orange I want.:D