Orange and Black wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SwagAttack, Mar 26, 2014.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I am trying to wire up a active/passive switch for a bass, and the two wires coming from the preamp are orange and black. Which is the input and output from the preamp?
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What preamp is it?

Are those the only wires? I would have expected to see connections for power too (and connections to pots if there was any tone controls associated with the preamp). Black is generally the ground or negative.

Picture?
  3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

It is a bass mods preamp. It already has everything prewired except for the pickup connections to the volume pot, and the orange and black wires coming from the preamp module.
  4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

The one I am using is for one pickup and has just two pots: volume and stacked bass/treble. I have tried contacting them since they no longer sell the one pickup preamps anymore (at least that is what it looks like), and they have never responded.
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If everything else looks similar, you could follow that diagram. You'll be missing the midrange, that's the only big difference.

The signal input is the 11th cable into the preamp (left to right) and the output is the blue at #1.

Your preamp could be used for two pickups too (if you wanted), the blend is a passive component that you could have or cut from that circuit. Remove the blend pot from the picture, hook your pickup signal to the top right lug of the push/pull. Run the red cable from that same lug to the 11th input connection (basically keeping that red to red connection that's shown on the top right lug of the blend pot, sans-blend pot).
  8. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sorry for the potato picture, but here is the preamp in question. There are 5 connections: 1 black wire that goes to the bridge (on volume ground), 1 white and 1 bare wire on the volume to attach to the pickup (I assume), then there are the orange and black wire. The black wire is kind of hiding behind the volume pot, but it is there. I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Is the white and bare wire coming from the central lug of the volume pickup? If so I'd expect that the white is your signal output from volume to socket (the Gray/bare shield goes to ground).

I think the red wire which is connected to the volume dial (right lug) is the signal output from the preamp.

Sorry, that's not much help regarding the remaining black and orange cable!
  10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

From what I can see, the black would go to the secondary hot of your stereo jack to complete the battery negative. (plugging in a mono plug completes the circuit.) Not knowing anything about the preamp, I'd guess it has inputs for 2 pickups.
  11. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The black as a ground/negative still makes sense (and would be the common use of the black wire). Still not entirely sure what the orange would do.

Not sure if they'd have two independent inputs to the preamp like that though?
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Looking at it again, the black *should* be the 2nd part of the battery ground/neg. It would go to the secondary + of the stereo jack. The coax looking one coming from the volume pot appears to go to the primary + on the jack. This leaves the orange, which would have to be the input.
  13. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

So orange is the input, and the white is the output? And what is the point of the bare wire that is with the white wire?

To answer one of the previous questions, yes the white is on the middle node of the volume pot.
  14. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If the white is on the same lug as the output to the jack, it's quite possible that it's a relic from a previous setup. I'm thinking passive tone control.
  15. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

The white is on the middle node, and the bare wire goes to the ground on the volume pot. Then there is a red wire on the left node going to the preamp. So the pickup would usually go to the orange wire then?
  16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

That's my best guess. At some point, you're going to have to try it and see.
  17. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

True, true. But where to I solder the bare wire to? It is already ground at one end, so I can't think of where it would go if it doesn't go to the jack.
  18. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The bare wire is a shield for the output line, if it's already connected to the rear of the volume pot, connect the other end to the ring or sleeve lug on the socket (whichever one isn't connected to the negative of the battery).
  19. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I thought that the black wire grouped with the orange went to the jack?
  20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I thought we were going to try orange as the input (pickup connection to preamp).

With a volume pot you usually assign one of the side lugs to ground (usually left), the signal to the volume pot goes to the right lug and the attenuated (volume control) comes from the central lug.

A circuit can have many grounding points, and you could completely miss out the bare wire if you wanted but it acts as a shield to insulate the signal, this reduces noise. If it's coming off the central lug, I don't think it'd be used to connect to a tone control.
  21. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

You are correct, the orange was the input. I was referring to the black wire that shares the shrink tube with the orange. So far I got that the bare and white wire goes to the jack. But that black wire, I am unsure of what it does.