Orange Bass Amps and Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mancefine, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    As I've browsed through Talk Bass I see alot of people that seem to have a distaste for Orange bass cabs (most of the opinions on the heads seem to be positive), and as a guy that switched from Ampeg to Orange I just wanted to say that IMO Orange makes some of the best bass amps and cabs therre are. I'm not too familiar with alot of the smaller companies people swear by on here, but I play a Terror Bass 1000 through an OBC 410 and OBC 115 and it is simply heaven. Before I settled on Orange I played an Ampeg SVT classic, SVT 4-pro, an Ampeg 810, Ampeg 210 and 115, Galien Krueger 1001 RB and GK 410, Bergantino 610, SWR 610, etc etc. Yes, the Orange cabs weigh alot and they are pretty expensive and somewhat hard to find used in the US, but if you go on tone and sound (and looks) alone I really think they can't be beat. The 410 is punchy and seemed to be louder and clearer on it's own than the Ampeg 810. The 115 is probably one of the best 15's out there and sounds incredible on it's own, and even better when paired with the 410. I love the simplicity of the heads, as I play an active Spector euro 4 and a passive Fender jazz and the Orange really let's both basses individual tone shine through without colouring them at all. The TB1000 has all the headroom I'd ever need, even with a big pedal board and weighs 10 pounds.
    Sorry if this sounds like an Orange advertisement, but damn do I love my rig. I've never been sold on a rig like I am now, and I just wanted to put some positive vibes out there for Orange. Other than the TB500 I rarely hear people mention Orange gear on here, so I thought I'd give my two cents.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Can't really have a tone of its own, and have transparency to let the sound of the instrument come through at once, that would be in contradiction to each other.

3. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Good point. I guess I meant that Other Amps I've played have made all my basses sound somewhat similar, while they sound distinctly different through the Orange with no EQ changes.

4. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Totally agree!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Well there's your problem, also I tried the terror basses and just wasn't all that impressed I guess. Not too bad though.

7. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    I guess I should have prefaced what I wrote with I'm more of a "plug and play" guy. I tend to care more about playing my bass than all the technical mumbo jumbo that comes with amps, cabs, etc. Not to insinuate there is anything wrong with that, I've just never been a fan of huge rack set ups with 10 different eq's and compressors and what not. I've actually never played a terror bass 500, which I think is the one most people will find in stores/ talk about, but the 1000 is what my opinion is based on. I would imagine there would be a good amount of difference in headroom and thusly the tone.

8. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Also, as far as price, my rig new would be about the same price as an Ampeg 810 and SVT Classic new. I know in Europe, the opposite is true. Ampeg is way more expensive than Orange.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

I've been extremely happy in my switch to Orange earlier this year (AD200B with an OBC115, and a couple months ago purchased an OBC410 which has become my main cabinet). Prior to that I had played an Mesa MPulse combo, and a Fender Bassman TV15. I've also just purchased an Ampeg PF800 as a backup.

Now I realize comparing all of these is not a very realistic situation. You can't really compare solid state and hybrid tube amps to an all tube amp (not to mention the speaker combination), but I can say without a doubt, that none of them have/had the flavor that the Orange does. They have the flavor that speaks to my style.

It's not everybody's thing and they are expensive if you can't find used, but man does it sing for me.

10. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Totally agree. I'm ordering the AD200b from Alex next week and am supremely stoked. I did a side by side comparison with my friends AD200b to my TB1000 and I was surprised at how similar they were. I expected the all tube to blow the class D out of the water but they were very similar. I know all of Orange's bass stuff uses the same tube preamp, both TB models and the AD200.
    My purchase after the AD200 will be the OBC 810. I really can't wait for that! I think alot of people aren't aware of Orange as much because all you ever see in stores at best is an OBC115, a TB500, and the combo amps. I've never seen an AD200, TB1000, or an OBC 810 in a store. They need to get their high end stuff out there more.