Orange bass terror 500 vs Hartke LH500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mldavis, Mar 23, 2014.

1. mldavis

mldavis

I'm going to be buying a new amp and cab in the next couple of weeks and I'm torn between these two.

I like the look of the bass terror and the reliability of orange is appealing, but the sound of the LH500 and price is also very appealing.

Unfortunately there aren't any music shops near me that stock Hartke, so would appreciate your comments on this amp. I'm thinking about buying the AK410 cab to go with it.

Thanks in advance.

2. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Have owned both. Hartke sounds cleaner, Orange sounds tubey and is waaaaaay more powerful. I know they are rated the same but the orange is super loud. Limited EQ on both ( I consider that a plus). Hartke is pretty heavy by modern standards.

I personally prefer the Orange. The Hartke is a decent head, really an excellent head considering the price.

What cabs are you considering?

3. mldavis

mldavis

Well I was thinking the AK410 for the Hartke or the OBC410 for the bass terror.

Any recommendation on a cab? The OBC410 is very expensive!

Thanks

4. Needenaneden

Needenaneden

The AK410 is a great sounding head....punchy, warm, plenary of low end. I like it is so much I just ordered another. I use mine with the Hartke LH1000.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mldavis

mldavis

Yeah the reviews seem very good to be fair and they are reasonably priced, which is good.

7. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Bass is punch and the hartke doesnt have it...dont get me wrong, its a good sounding head at a excellent price BUT the orange packs a wallop...feel it in your chest. The hartke is loud but w/ o the punch of the orange. Grab the orange if gigging is what you intend the purchase to do. No disrespect to hartke guys out there...their stuff serves its purpose. Actually for not much more money you can get the much more serviceable lh1000...that head will get it done. I know most 410's aren't rated at 1000 watts but I used to run that head into a hartke 410 with no problems whatsoever. Most sound guys will tell you that whatever rms wattage a cabinet is rated for needs to be driven with a power amp of 2x the wattage to get the clean headroom you want for good sound/tone. Leave the lh500 in the garage...

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I was looking at these same two heads late last year and went with the Orange. Like others have said, it's loud. Really loud. I also liked the size and weight, very easy to transport. I use my Orange 500 with two Hartke Hydrive 112 and it gets the job done.

9. mokkat

mokkat

In contrast to the other responses, when I was looking for an amp with a tube preamp to replace my old SS amp, I ended up buying the LH500 and being very happy with it. Coming from a SS, it is tubey but very clean and way more punchy, with a lot of headroom.
    I tried out the BT in a shop when looking, and I couldn't get a focused tone out of it. I also didn't factor in the drive in it, since a clean tone was what I was looking for.

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would go with the orange, but would not get an orange cab. Overpriced for what you get. For me, I would pair the TB500 with a fEARless F115.

11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

+1 for the TB500, but I've never tried the Hartke.

I'd like to get the TB1000 and pair it with two of Orange's 410 Isobaric cabs for a killer tower of power.

12. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I would rather save money and get a regular 410 and the 500 watt version. Same out put. Those iso cabs are a waste of "engineering" as they only have the output of a 210.

13. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

I haven't had a chance to play the Hartke, but I have just given a new Orange Terror Bass head a hefty weekend spin (3 gigs, and a 4-hour rehearsal!), and the thing is totally delivering the goods! it weighs less than half of the Hartke, which as a subway riding, no-car-having musician is important. I've used it with a Markbass 1x12, and 2x10 (separately), as well as a Traynor 4x10. It is totally LOUD. I have a Markbass LMIII, and this crushes it in terms of volume and punch. So far it's nothing but love for the Terror! Now the test will be durability over the long run...

14. pudgychef

pudgychef

So would it just be the added power adding punch as they have the same eq?

As for running into a single 4x10 (iirc) the LH1000 has stereo power amps (2x500w at 2ohm)- so running one side of the LH1000 into a single 4x10 off of one side would be putting out roughly the same power as one side of the LH500. In order to get the 1000w it would need to be to a single cab in bridge mode.

agreed or a pair of vertical stacking 2x10s

15. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Hi,I,ve played a hartke and I have an OBT500 and sp212 cab.
    say,s it all
    I would like another sp212 cab but I,ve never been short of volume/punch ,oh and it,s loud and beefy-very loud even with one sp212,not bad for a crap design-don,t worry about figures the cabs deliver, in a live setting there is no problem.

16. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Sure as long as you only need the output of a 112 or a 210, the SP212 and SP410 cabs are fine. Albeit expensive, and heavy for the performance.

17. mldavis

mldavis

I'm thinking of getting the Fender Rumble V3 410, the new vintage looking model that's just come out.

It's a lovely looking cab and more than capable of handling the BT 500, anyone tried one of these yet?

Thanks

18. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    The BT500 has enough power to turn just about any 410 to ash.

19. Crash 56

Crash 56

I currently own both the terror 500 and the LH 500, and I love them both. If you want clean, the Hartke is the way to go. The Orange is very loud, but definetly has its own voice.

20. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the Orange head. Way more mojo. Then get the best cab you can find. GC Used often has the best prices and shipping around. Every time I go on there I want to buy another Mesa PH cab (when they priced right) even though I don't need a rig of doom... yet.

21. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Seems like odd choices to me. The LH500 is pretty much clean, The Orange is pretty dirty.