1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Orange Bass Terror - DI issues

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FBS1996, Feb 23, 2014.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

hey everyone

bought a bass terror 500 watt head not too long ago and part of the reason why I bought it was so I could use the DI and record bass covers and stuff like that, but I can't seem to even get close to a clean sound out of this head when I use the DI. I can when I plug it into a cab, but not when I DI it.

Got a sound clip here to give you an idea of how quickly it breaks up. Gain is on just below 1 and all the EQ controls are on 3, and it's already totally overdriven - https://soundcloud.com/shagdoll/bastard-bass-terror

Is there a problem with my DI that I need to get fixed or is this just part of Orange's thing? I know that they're not designed to be the cleanest amps ever, but surely you should be able to get at least a semi clean sound out of it. Cheers
  2. frankenp

frankenp Supporting Member

Sounds like the signal you are sending from the Orange's DI is to hot for your recording device. Trying plugging the DI into a mixer or similar device first so that you can attenuate the signal. A computer's line in is very easy to overload.
  3. KK Jale

KK Jale

Hello up there in Leeds! A hot line level (not mic level) DI out is a known idiosyncrasy of early TB500s (now changed I believe).

One solution (if you don't have access to a desk with a line level input as frankenp rightly suggested) is a simple XLR inline attenuator.

I use a -30dB on mine. They cost about ten quid or so. Others have used -40dB and they say that brings it down to exactly mic level.

Wonderful amps, have fun.
  4. FBS1996

FBS1996

Good morning fellow Brit! Haha :p

Awesome man, cheers :) I only seem to be seeing -20dB attenuators on ebay. Would that bring the levels down enough do you reckon, or shall I shop about for a -30 one? Thanks man
  5. KK Jale

KK Jale

Morning! I REALLY should go to bed...

Though this advert says -10dB, the small print below say they do 10, 20, 30 and 40 versions...

http://www.studiospares.com/Mic-Accessories/Pro-10Db-Inline-Attenuator/invt/568570

I remember researching this 2 years ago and at the time there was no consensus as to which was best. Some used -20, others -40. I decided to split the difference...

Try googling orange terror attenuator and you'll find a bunch of talkbass and basschat.co.uk threads, some useful :D

BTW be careful, the preamp swapping bug will bite you if it hasn't already. (Hint: probably worth it.)
  6. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Supporting Member

The "Hot DI" issue is known to Orange and resolved in later revisions. If you send it to Orange, they'll fix it. If you're handy with a soldering iron, they'll give you the instructions to fix it yourself. I recommend sending it to them... they pull all the boards and replace them with the latest and greatest. The benefit there is that you get brand new components including the power amp section, effectively resetting the lifespan of your amp. Hell, they even replaced my gig bag when they sent it back.
  7. FBS1996

FBS1996

Really? Wow, that's awesome. Do you know if I'd be able to do that over in Great Britain? And would they do it for free? I don't have any warranties or anything like that with it.

Thanks man!
  8. negativefx

Not sure, I'm assuming the fix can be done by their UK facility. However, I *did* have an active warranty when mine was repaired.
  9. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My Mesa Bass 400 has a hot line. I use a relatively inexpensive Presonus Mic Pre to attenuate. It has a -28dB button. I record into a USB interface at home. Even with interface input at 0 and my bass amp very low (lower than it needs to be for the tone I like), I was clipping all of the time.
  10. negativefx

Although an attenuator would likely solve this issue, it's a known problem with the amp and can be fixed. If for some strange reason Orange doesn't fix it for free even out of warranty, they can provide you the very simple repair instructions. If I recall, there was the removal of one resistor and a cap swap but not 100% sure. I would just call Orange and talk to them about it.
  11. anderbass

anderbass

The Audio-Technica AT8202 has a 3-way slider switch to achieve 10, 20 or 30 db of Attenuation