Orange CR50 BXT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by logans59, Nov 15, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

I've been shopping for a good amp to play at church through a PA system and I came across this online for $210 new. It's a 1x12 and I was really looking for a 1x15, but would this do the job?

2. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    A DI box through the PA would work.

What is it about this amp you like? What are your requirements? Are you using the amp just for personal monitoring?

3. logans59

logans59

I currently use a DI box, but I want a little more control over my own sound. The only amp I currently own is a crappy little one I got way back in the Ibanez starter pack, so I want a good practice amp that I can also use when I play at church. I just want something that sounds good so I can hear myself a little better, and something that gives me a little more control over my own sound instead of leaving up to the guy behind the soundboard.

4. logans59

logans59

any more thoughts on this?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Its a cute little practice amp. Is it enough for your needs? I dont know how loud you need to be. Check out the amp, see how loud it goes.

7. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

+1

For that budget you could get one of quite a few new small practice amps - some of which will likely give you the sound you want (try a few to compare loudness and tone options!).

If you go used you may be able to get a much more potent rig - but there are some risks. Always try before you buy and exercise caution. :D

8. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

if you decide to buy it take with you a pair of headphones and test the headphone output, I bought and returned 2 units this week and both had the same problem, a fuzz type noise in both the headphone output and lineout. Sound wise is great though.

9. Savnok

Savnok

I keep reading that active basses sound weird with this amp. Anyone know anything about this?

10. AtomicZHP

AtomicZHP

I have one of these amps, and my Ibanez ATK sounds just fine through it. It is a sealed enclosure, so not terribly efficient, and any time I play below E1 it just can't handle it. It can get decently loud, and the tone is pleasing to me - but there's just no grit to be dialed in with the gain - it just stays clean right up until the point that you max the excursion of the speaker.

Though it does the job I need it for (practice, playing Rocksmith), I would probably not buy it again if given the choice. If you don't play in drop tuning or on a 5/6 string then it certainly does the job, especially if you're using it at church and don't need to overcome the much higher noise floor of a gig.

11. BCB50

BCB50

I bought one of these 6 weeks ago to play my 75 Jazz through it cost $269. It is OK for a practice amp and can probably carry a P&W church service if the church is not that big. From experience at my uncles church once you add a guitar or two, keyboards, piano, and drums it will get buried. The tone is nothing to write home about and lacking on the lower end.

Since then I picked up 2 old Peavy TNT-100s. Both are in working condition, but one is in very good condition. The other cosmetically shows it's age and has a little pot noise. Nothing on that one can't be fixed with a couple of hours cleaning, some Deoxit shot in the pots and working them, and a little paint on the metal. Both have 15 inch Blackwidows and will walk all over the Orange in volume and tone quality. With a set of casters for the better of the 2 and a new ground plug for the other. I have less invested in both than in the Orange, and both produce a way better sound with a lot more low end output.

IMHO if it were me looking again I would look and test out some used amps. I think with a little time invested you will be able to find something you will be a lot happier with. Now I have my Orange on CL trying to recoup a little of the funds spent on it.