Orange Isobaric Cab review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pickebass, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Spent some time today with the new Orange cabs. Music store just got the new 210 and 410 cabs. To make sure that I limited the variables, I brought my own equipment to test. I used the following: 1. Sadowsky NYC 5 string, Spector 5 string, Aguilar DB680 with symetrix 501 compressor thru the effects loop powered by a stewart power 1.6.

First of all the cabs are VERY COMPACT. The 210 was probably the size of the EA VL108 and the 410 was probaby close in size to a SWR goliath Jr. Not sure of the weight but I would put the 210 @ around 30lbs and the 410 around 50. Both have ports that are probably 3 inches across the cab. One thing that was missing (to me anyway)is that it only has speakon connectors (2), no quarter inch connections. At this time (according to the website), both cabs are only available at 8 ohms.

I'm not exactly clear on the technology but 1 speaker (or pair) are mounted facing forward and the other(s) are mounted backwards (or down?). Each speaker (or set) is within its own compartment within the box. The sound from the non-visible speakers is coming thru the port at the bottom of the cabinet.

With the 410 it is very old school sounding. Neither cabinet does not have a tweeter. My guess is in keeping with the Orange vibe, they wanted it to have a more vintage sound. It definitely does that really well. For fingerstyle, it has a nice old school feel. Think old ampeg or acoustic cab. For slap styles not the most articulate cab. This cab seemed to have a lot of growl and grind. With the Spector, the tonepump really sounded hifi. Still didn't sound great for slap but the definition was great. For a setting where you would want more edge and grind this could be a great cab. Didn't get the big bottom you get from standard 410. The B string was clear but didn't really speak as well as many other 410s. Overall, in a more traditional setting or using tubes this could be a great cab. For the slapper or the hifi stylist, this is not your cab. Volume was another issue, I didn't feel I got the volume from this cab, that I could get out of a regular 410. In comparison to other cabs such as the Goliath II (which I own). It's about as loud as the G II. Nowhere near as loud as an Eden 410 XLT. I feel the Eden 210XLT may actually be a little louder. I was able to compare it directly to the standard Orange 410 and it definitely was not as loud. BTW list on the cab is $1249 and the power rating is 1200 watts. With my setup, I was putting in 1100 watts to the cab

The 210 was another story. Did I mention this is a small cabinet?? Love the size. The sound of this 210 was great. Volume wise, it was much louder than you would expect. I would take this cab anywhere and feel really good about it. This one could be a small one cab solution. In this situation, the other ten gives more bottom and creates more depth from the cab. Still missing a tweeter, but with the 210s it's not as noticeable. For fingerstyle, it was more focused than the 410 and also had a very nice slap sound. Once again, no tweeter, but in a small group setting with no p.a. or a situation where you are really just needing a monitor, this could be a great solution. Sonically, still more odd school than most cabs we are accustomed to using these days. The list for the cab is $779 and it is rated at 600watts

What do I think?? It is in keeping with the Orange line. I personally am a big fan of tube power and either of these cabs with an all tube amp could be a great solution. Neither cab needs alot of power to get a great sound. I do think that the 410 needs at least 700 watts. With the 210 you could probably get away with 350, These cabs kind of feel a niche between the Bergantino NV series and the modern neo cabs. These cabs have the small size, and in many ways are more retro sounding than the NVs. If I had to pick Orange or Berg, it would be the Berg 610 and the Orange 210.

I think a fair test will be with the Orange Bass Terror. My assumption is that is what these are designed for. Two cabs getting a 1000 watts (or 500) would be good for most gigs. Playing thru the cabs, I definitely want to go "vintage". The cabs call for an old P bass or at least a passive bass.

BTW... This is all IMO, IME, AFAIK.

2. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Thanks for putting the time in on this review. I've been pretty interested in these since I first saw them. I thought they were heavier than that. I'm gonna have to check them out. Do you think 200 tube watts would be enough for the 2x10?

Thanks,

Michael

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

200 tube watts should work without a problem. Speakers don't seem power hungry. The 210 is a really small cab. It maybe a little bigger, but not much more than 30 lbs.

4. Musicman20

Musicman20

Test all three of the SP cabs and the Bass Terror. Awesome gear, awesome. The 212 SP is my favourite, its tiny but sounds HUGE and fat.

Bass Terror basically is the best tube sounding micro head ive used.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. angelopb

angelopb

+1 on the SP212.

A pair would kill with the terror bass 1000.

For now, I am driving mine with a MB Little Tube so I guess @ 8 ohms it's good for 300 watts, half its RMS power. I just flat out love the tone, impressive size-to-output ratio and first rate build quality. It's an awesome little box that delivers the goods.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I can't wait to test out the new Orange cabs - I'm in love with my 1x15 and have been waiting for a 2x10 to pair it with.

Also excited to test out a Bass Terror

8. Musicman20

Musicman20

Bass Terror and SP212 are the best....the 410 was great, but not quite as good as the SP212. The SP212 had a lot of meat to it! And it is TINY!

9. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

I just got an idea... of 4 of the the 4x10s stacked up... 16x10 in an 8x10 footprint... :) :) :) :bassist:

10. protoz

protoz

That kind of sounds like what I was expecting. Still not sure if the 4x10 is worth the money.

11. MarvinForte

MarvinForte

Does anyone have dimensions on these cabinets? The sizes are not listed on the Orange site or any sites I can find.

12. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    The Low End, Orange Amps, SIT Strings
    The Sp cabs have both 1/4 in and speakon connectors all in one!

All the speakers in the Sp cabs are facing forward, one right in front of each other.

Man I don't see where you are getting this at all.. The 410 has GREAT low end. Coming from a 5 string player that what I look for..Hmmm The Sp410 will hand my Aguilar db410 it's butt any day of the week! And after gigging just 1 sp410 it has my respect more than ever. Way more volume that I would ever expect even with 200 watts! And what I like about the sp410 on small gigs I can pick the cab up my self(50ish lbs) and put it in my car my self! Thats half the weight as most 410 cabs.

When I played all the SP cabs at NAMM this year it went like this for me. I plugged in the sp210 powering it with the Bass Terror and it was like no volume or punch at all really weak imo .. then I plugged in the sp212 and it was the same way. At the point of time was going to give up on them.. But then I plugged in the sp410 and BAM it came to life full punch, warm sound with more than enough volume to handle ANY small to midsize clubs.
    IMO I think Orange needs to work on the SP210 and the Sp212.. something about these cabs are not right IMO... but leave the sp410 leave it alone it's sooooo right..

I guess these cabs are not for every one. But sp410's are definitely for me!

13. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    I guess Im half way there...
    [​IMG]

14. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    The sp410 is well worth the money IMO. Like I said it blows away all the 410's cab I played and my DB410 any day of the week.. and 1/2 the size and 1/2 the weight. Ya they are a little pricy byt you get what you pay for. Check one out for your self don't let me or any other person give your opinion on ANY gear!

15. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    The Sp410 is
    24 wide 15.25 tall and 15 deep

16. ilnickyJ

ilnickyJ

You wouldn't be able to do that would you?
    It Would be 4 8ohm cabs so it would need a 2ohm independence.

17. GearHeadBassMan

GearHeadBassMan

a carvin BX1200 would be able too, any two sided amp would.

EDIT. Also, any of the many amps that can pull 2 ohms.

18. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    You could use multiple heads as well!

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So they both have tweeters then, right?

20. MarvinForte

MarvinForte

Actually, wouldn't that be like 1 ohm? You'd fry your head. But two heads like Greg said? Oh yeah!

BTW, thanks for the dimensions Greg. Anyone have dimensions for the 210 or 212?

I've been thinking about two 212 cabs but I've got to play them all and see what works best for me.

M

21. GCool

GCool

Disclosures:
    8 8 ohm cabs in parallel will be 2 ohms. but you could run 2 8 ohm cabs in series and then parallel them together and get 8 ohms.

8 cabs... 8 heads? :bassist::bassist: