Orange/Matamp for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tube, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Tube

Tube

I bought a cabinet 4x12 Orange/Matamp for guitar vintage.
    I would like to replace the speakers Celestion Greenback vintage, and put the new speakers for bass.
    I had thought to Eminence Deltalite II in 2512.
    I accept suggestions.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Buy a bass cab. That is a fine guitar cab, no reason to ruin it trying to turn it in to something it is not.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Well Mr Foxen should know best as Matamp is his mantra, but I would not place bets that the guitar cab is structurally built for bass.

4. scf4003

scf4003

I like the look and sound of my Orange guitar cabs for bass. The stock "Orange, Voice Of The World" speakers are holding up quite well at gig volume, big, snarl and punch. I'm thinking of replacing the speakers in one of the cabinets with Eminence bass speakers like you are looking at, to add a little cleaner low end. I think it's a good idea and you will like it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tube

Tube

In fact, I do not want to destroy my cab, I just want to replace the speakes, so I will get a pleasant sound.

Besides, I do not understand, why the cabinet 4x12 Ampeg V4 okay, while on Oronage not?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-v4-cab-bass-529540/

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I agree with the more knowledgeable responders- a guitar cab does not make for a good bass cab. Not enough internal space. Get a bass cab.
    And, using guitar spkrs is a sure fire way to ruin those otherwise good drivers. I bet at least part of that "snarl" is the spkrs at their mechanical limits, or beyond.
    This is why we have guitar cabs, and bass cabs. Very different, and not just the spkrs themselves.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    4x12s were bass cabs in the 60s/70s. If you want to sound like 60s/70s bass, at 60s levels (70s bumped the levels a lot), leave it as is, if you want to sound like anything else, get a different cab,. More to making bass cabs than bunging speakers in a box. Nearest way you could use that cab is cover two holes and use two bass speakers vertically in there. So you have an oversized, overweight 2x12.

9. scf4003

scf4003

I've played over 7000 paid gigs in the last 45 years and have used a zillion combinations of bass and guitar cabinets with a zillion different amp heads. Always been a hopeless gearhead. The best sounding rigs I've used have been a combination of a guitar cab and a bass cab powered by one head. You get low end punch with clear mids and harmonic ring, especially with a Rick 4001. Just don't expect to push a 1000w through a 100w guitar cab without problems. BTW, I've never blown a guitar speaker.
    OP, I would give it a try and see what you think, use your ears to be the judge.

10. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    As another 100 watt Matamp owner although mine was made in 1968 so pre Orange tolex, the 4X12 you have is a very similar volume at 1.2 cu ft per driver to the old Hiwatt 4x12 so you will have to put up with a tone that will never be much different in bass guitar terms than that of Steve Harris formerly of Iron Maiden now with British Lion who still very unwisely uses 1.2 cu ft per driver sealed 4x12's to this very day. He has found that the EV12L driver is ideal for the bright forward British mid tone series of triplet based riffs he enjoys writing and playing. Of course if he where to put these EV12l's in an Ampeg 1.2 cu ft
    sealed 4x12 cabinet made in American plywood as apposed to Baltic he would be tempted to turn off most of the treble on his amp or buy one where this has been done for him marked with a B in the name such as V4B and play 1/8 muddy root notes only.
    Thus perfecting his style and tone to suit a Bonjiovi covers band doing mainly weddings gigs on Saturday's thus saving on all that touring all over the world.
    Like this at least the local Catskills audience would be able to tell that he is a bass player due to the lettering on the amp and muddy tonality of the proper American Ampeg amp bass cab combination, although less so today because of confusion arriving out of how many strings a bass guitar has in the United States wedding band scene.
    Most are now using about seven or eight this avoids them needing to move their fretting hand longitudinally very much at all, thus conserving a lot of energy for the other 6 days off.
    There just might be more than one way of doing bass tone You decide!:bassist:

11. mbelue

mbelue

Seems to be a bit of 'tude in here.
    OP there are a thousand opinions per a thousand people, the only important opinion is yours.
    That being said what you propose has been discussed ad nauseum so folks like to line up on a side. I prefer well designed cabs over "throw whatever speaker into whatever box." You may not. Either way I agree that wedding band suck but so do guitar cabs.

12. Forrrest

Forrrest

considering the smaller volume of the cab, I'd get Eminence Delta Pro-12A (lower cost version of the EV12L )
    The 2512 you're looking at is a great speaker, but needs a bigger cab.

13. Tube

Tube

you have tried?

14. holyordersdave

holyordersdave

Hey Tube.
    Did you get my pm?