Orange OB-1K

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassdrop, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bassdrop

bassdrop Supporting Member

So Orange just announced this new bass head today at Namm. Looks as cool as it is oversized. I've tried to reach out and see if it has an output transformer because I don't really see any other way a 1000w solid state class D amp could be 47lbs. Otherwise it has blendable clean and OD and is rack mountable. No price yet.

2. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    The weight seems silly to me.

An SVT 4Pro puts out more power, has tubes in the preamp, is not class D, and weighs less.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

Looks like a big miss on oranges part.

4. bassdrop

If it has an output transformer that could explain a lot and that is, in fact, where a great deal of the tone of an all tube head comes from. I'm intrigued by that and also this cab: [​IMG] :eek:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

from Premier Guitar:

"Orange Amplification have combined years of experience with the latest technology to design and produce a new 1000 Watt solid-state bass amplifier. The OB1-K is Orange's first ever rack-mountable amplifier (with optional sleeve mounting available) forged by the demands of the modern bass player. Inspired by techniques such as bi-amping (running a bass guitar through bass and guitar amplifiers simultaneously) Orange has produced a stunning bass amplifier that takes care of this and much more besides.

The OB1-K splits the signal into two separate paths. One side produces a tight, clean bass sound with thunderous low end. The second side features two stages of controllable gain rich in upper harmonics. These two components can then be combined using the amplifier's footswitchable blend control giving the player a wealth of options that range from a crystal clear clean boost to all-out filthy bass mayhem! The result is a truly brutal bass tone, which still maintains the all-important low end. This enables the bass to cut through the mix in any situation.

The OB1-K features a fully responsive, active three-band EQ. This provides the bassist full control whilst keeping the classic Orange 'Pics Only' design. The OB1-K also features a DI with ground lift."

7. bassdrop

On second thought I don't necessarily think this a bad head for Orange to release if the price and tone is right even considering the weight. Think of the Aguilar DB751 or some of the top tier Glockenklang heads.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Why does this keep getting compared to the SVT 4 Pro? They're nothing alike. I don't understand how that amp keeps getting dragged out in threads about this head. Go start a thread about the 4 Pro if you want to talk about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyLMXw06PMw

This thing sounds incredible to me. It's exactly what I want, and I'll be snagging one as soon as I get the money together. A musical clean tone that I would have thought was all tube, with throaty, footswitchable, blended overdrive. I've always wanted a bi-amp rig; first because of Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, and more recently because of Converge and Every Time I Die and similar bands getting great rock tones with bi-amp rigs. Now I can get similar tone out of one amp, without having to maintain power tubes or move two rigs or hire a roadie or spend twice as much. I think Orange knows their fanbase very well, and I think this amp was a genius move for them.

9. Tractorr

Media:
    I compared it to the SVT 4 Pro simply because of weight. I just find it odd that a Class D amp with no tubes should weight more than SVT 4 Pro, the Aguilar DB751, and the GK RB2001. None of those amps are class D and two of the three have preamp tubes yet they all weigh less and have similar wattage.

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Three band eq and blended clean with valve powered drive. Catching up with what Laney did in the early 70s then.

11. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

+1 My thoughts exactly :rollno:

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

That's what I'm thinking. Sounds similar to what I've read about the Warwick Hellborg power amps.

13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

So now we have microwaves to go with out fridges...

14. Zigmundfloyd

Zigmundfloyd

Agree 100%. Love to give one a spin.

15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

*resists the powerful urge to make a "kitchen sink" joke*

16. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 751 was the first thing I thought of. It is only 5lbs lighter. I bet most of that difference is in the huge knobs Orange uses.
    :)

17. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

And if I recall, an output transformer means no running it without a cab for for recording direct. Doesn't it also mean constant wattage output regardless of how much resistance you have (4 vs 8 ohms)? Wonder if this guy will support 2ohm operation.

18. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    OK. Would comparing it to a Genz Shuttlemax 9.2 be better?

Neither are biamp rigs.
    Both are capable of putting out roughly the same power.
    Both have switchable/blendable channels.
    I don't know how many tubes are in the Orange. The Genz has only one.
    The Orange has only global EQ, the Genz has independent EQ for each channel.
    The Shuttlemax has a definite weight advantage.
    Even if it's true that the Orange has an output transformer, there are lighter/cheaper ways to limit bandwidth.
    The price of the Orange hasn't been announced, but my guess is that it will be higher than the $700 I paid for a SM 9.2 for over a year ago.
    The only real advantage I see for the Orange is that Shuttlemax is no longer in production.

19. Tractorr

Media:
    As per Orange's website it will do any load that is not less than 4 ohms. I was thinking the same thing about an output transformer but I do not think that is the case. I think it is only tube amps where it makes a difference and that it has something to do with voltage to the tubes, but I could be wrong and hopefully someone with engineering knowledge will set us straight.

20. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    FYI, it's 53lbs with the wooden head case (which is optional). The head case about foibles the weight.

21. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Sounds good, but knowing orange's way of pricing things it'll probably somehow cost more than the ad200b. ;) :p