1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Orange or SWR?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joel Schirripa, Dec 21, 2013.

?

Orange or SWR?

1. Orange Terror Bass is better than SWR Headlite.

65.9%
  2. SWR Headlite is better than Orange Terror Bass.

34.1%
  1. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

I want to begin saving for an amplifier and I have two main options, Orange Terror bass or SWR headlite? I can buy them both for around the same price online but I can't compare the two because my local music stores in my city only sell the orange. I really love the tone of SWR and I would have gone for the headlite except I heard very mixed reviews. I play funk, jazz and rock so I need to know which is the more versatile. I also want it to be able to get loud, I don't really know if the SWR can do that unless it has the amplite with it...

thanks ahead of time for any advice.
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Neither. The Headlite is by far wayyy more versatile however it's not very loud. About 250 real watts IME. The Orange has plenty of power and output but isn't particularly versatile. Might I suggest you look to a Genz ShuttleMax 9.2 or 12.2 depending on your cabs. Versatility and power. Just a little on larger size.
  3. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

If i use the amplite with the headlite does it give me a total of 800 watts or just 400 watts from the amplite with the headlite only working as a preamp?
  4. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Both the Headlite and the Amplite have the same power amp inside them. If you plan on running two 4 ohm cabs you will need the Amplite to run the second otherwise there is no point to getting the Amplite.

IME the Headlite and Amplite each put out roughly what a normal 250 W amp does into a single 4 ohm cab. If the cab is big enough, it can be enough power to hold up to a loud drummer.

The Amplite and Headlite cannot be connected to run one cab in tandem at 800 Watts.
  5. jd-ns

jd-ns Supporting Member

It sounds like versatility is what you're after and that is the opposite of what the orange terror bass is known for.

I used to own a TB500. It does one sound really well and goes really loud... but that's it.

It is by far the least versatile amp I have ever used.
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have tried both at several music stores and honestly didn't like either of them. No clarity or definition. I prefer Ampeg and GK.
  7. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

SWR if those are your only 2 choices
  8. justBrian

justBrian Supporting Member

I have the TB500 and really dig it. I pair it with a 500 watt LDS 15/6/1 WET and it sounds incredible. In fact, I use it for doubling--sounds great for both electric and URB. I swapped out the 12ax7s for some 5751s and it smoothed out the grind. It's warm and buttery, and full and round--similar to my B15 but much louder.
  9. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

What if i use two 8 ohm cabs and run them in series from one of the speakon outs on the back of the amplite? would this produce 800 watts or just the 400 from the amplite only? what im really trying to ask is do the power sections from the headlite and amplite combine to create a total of 800 watts or what sounds like (from the information above) 500 watts?
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

While I'm not familiar with either the SWR Ampllte or the Headlite, I can tell you that operating two cabs in series will actually decrease the overall amount of power available from the amp, relative to how much would be available with the cabs operating in parallel, due to the greater impedance of the series circuit. :meh:

MM
  11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

If you have two 8 ohm cabs you'd want to run them in parallel as MM stated above to get the most power out of the amp. There would be little benefit to having both Amplite and Headlite with those two 8 ohm cabs, as they can both be hooked up to just the Headlite for a total impedance of 4 ohm in parallel and an output of 250 watts shared between both cabs with a SWR advertised 400 watts short term burst.

You cannot link both the Amplite and Headlite in series or parallel to get 800 watts into a single 4 ohm load which is what you get with 2-8ohm cabs. The only reason to get the Amplite would be if you had two 4 ohm cabs or 4-8ohm cabs that you wanted to run. You'll have to do some reading on cabs impedance and amps minimum impedance to fully understand. I think there is a sticky thread at the top of the Amps forum that will help explain it better.
  12. Joel Schirripa

Joel Schirripa

thanks,
    i understand impedence i was just asking about the headlite and amplite becuase i couldnt find much information about it on other websites so i thought i would ask here. I think for now i'll get the orange so i have a loud enough rig but i will probably later in life get the swr with a couple of amplites for enough power. Again thanks :)

just as a side question, how would you run two 4 ohm cabs using the headlite in combination with the amplite without going to 2 ohms and potentially wrecking your rig?
  13. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

One cab goes into the Headlite and the other cab would go into the Amplite. You'd also have to put a pre-amp signal jumper from the Headlite to the Amplite.