1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orange question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ptg, Dec 10, 2013.

1. ptg

ptg

Hello!

I am curious to hear the Terror 500W head but would need to order one, try it out and return it if it does not suit my needs.

My question centers around the cab.

I am trying to keep things light. I currently have a G&K 2-12 neo. Has anyone ever run the Terror through this cab?

The other option is that Orange has just come out with a BT500C combo. Does anyone have experience with this piece? Their literature mentions that the SP212 cab has one speaker mounted behind the other. Not being a tech guy, I have never heard of such a thing and don't know if that's good or bad.

Thanks for the help!

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    One speaker in front of the other means you only get sound from one speaker, and need to feed power to two, its kind of a bad plan when you can achieve the upside with a single more powerful speaker instead. Pretty easy to disregard that, especially if light is your aim, double speaker weight for same volume (and needing double power to get it) throws that out the window.

The GK cab should work fine with it, only thing is taste call, the TB doesn't have the eq to sculpt the sound if you don't like the sound of the cab.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You'd probably be fine with the GK cab.

Orange bass cabs... never have had any interest.

4. ptg

ptg

Interesting, thanks!

Following this line of thought, are there any other lightweight cabs that anyone can suggest?

I see some here and there but most stores only carry Markbass (never really sang to me) or G&K, which is what I have now.

Thanks again!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rickenbass

Rickenbass

I agree on the Orange cab thing. I have a 4X10 and I'm not a fan. I do own the TB500 and I run mine with a Glasstone Lil G which is a 2x12 cab. One 12 is front firing the other down fires. Awesome cab!! The cab weighs in at 39 lbs so both cab and head are under 50 pounds!

Check out the Glasstone thread hear. Huge devote following!! For good reason.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is your budget for a cab?

8. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

It,ll be fine with that cab,no worries.
    Remember it sounds like an Orange

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

What don't you don't like about the 4x10?

10. Rickenbass

Rickenbass

It's heft is atrocious. Now I need to say I do own an AD200b so I'm not opposed to things that weigh a ton since I love that head. For it's size and output, I feel the 410 lacks depth and fullness. My 2 12 Glasstone out performs the 410 in both sound quantity and quality.

11. ptg

ptg

Thanks for the input everyone!

To reply:

1. I have never heard of the Glasstone and will check it out. How does it sound as compared to the GK?

2. My budget depends on what the final decision is. I am looking for a new sound, so I may change my whole rig. I would like to stay under 2K if I get a new head and cab, then sell the GK once I'm set. If I just get a head and keep the cab I have, that would be fine as well.

3. I hear the "it sounds like an Orange" line often. That's why I want to try it because I don't know what that means! :)

It appears that my choices of light cabs may be limited. Maybe I'll pair the Orange head to my existing cab first and take it from there. But, as I said, I have no problem changing everything. Problem is that with something like the Glasstone, there is no way to try one out.

I love GAS...

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Your current cab is a great option and should pair wonderfully with the Orange!

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Means a lack of eq and enough of its own colour that you can hear the amp over what you are putting into the amp.

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Pretty much. That said, I use my Tb500 for country gigs, church gigs, rocks gigs, whatever! It's colored, but not to the point of being unusable or not versatile.

15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Funny part is, the classic Orange tone is from the midrangey James tone stack and phase inverter, I think cathodyne, but the Terror Bass and the AD200b have standard Fender type tone stack with a totally different sound to the one that made Orange's name.

16. trevcda

trevcda

Media:
    Albums:
    Serious question; am I missing something? My completely uninformed opinion of Orange used to be of these boutique-ish hand wound amps that were hard to find and had a particular tone, that one rarely caught a glimpse of in the wild unless it was a national act coming through town that had an endorsement deal. Now they're in my local pawn shop being sold brand new. This can't be the same "Orange" I'm thinking of, can it?

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    You are thinking of Matamp. Orange used to be supplied amps by Matamp, in the 60s and early 70s, they were fancy hand made jobs, that Matamp still make. Orange changed hands a bunch of times, and trade off that reputation, but are heavily marketed mass produced PCB amps.

[​IMG]

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I realize that you're still deep in your learning curve, but you'd best qualify your question a lot more than that. There are any number of lightweight cabs one might suggest - depending on what you consider lightweight, or not. Doesn't necessarily mean that any of them is quite what you want or need.

Size? Power handling capacity? Cost? Preferred speaker configuration? Preferred tonal profile / frequency response (i.e. there's a world of difference in this regard between an Acme and a Schroeder)? And yes, weight? :eyebrow:

MM

19. ptg

ptg

MysticMichael, (Hello Dali), great questions, of course!

I guess I am trying to keep it in the 50 pound range. My old GK cab was nearly double that and too much to lug around after a long gig at my age. My GK neo is, I think, something like 48.

I currently run 2-12's but for no other reason than I have never heard 10's that did it for me and cabs with 15's tended to be heavy. That being said I am not married to any specific size.

My GK head runs at 500W as does the Orange Terror but I am not a slave to a number. If it can handle the gigs (I currently play in an all-original prog-ish band but have played in Dead-type bands as well.) then it works for me.

Thanks!

Tonal profile? There's the problem. Due to a serious lack of knowledge, I can't give you a frequency response range or anything of that nature. My main basses are a fretless StingRay with flats and a Spector ReBop. I am finding that the GK is not a bad thing but does not make either bass pop. It's kind of like I'll know it when I hear it which, sadly, helps you not at all on this point. Hopefully, you can cull enough info from my other answers to impart some much needed direction.

20. trevcda

trevcda

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. And sorry for the topic swerve.

21. grey area

grey area

if you get a chance, try the TC RS 2x12. not neo but not too heavy and a fairly easy slog. i use a couple of em and very much like their tone and power handling.

good luck.