Orange SP212 or Markbass 104HF?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by goran, Feb 1, 2014.

1. goran

goran

I can get both of them secondhand for roughly the same amount of money. I have one SP212 and I love it with my Genz Shuttlemax 9.2. It's more than enough for small gigs and rehearsals. For the last few months, I have been searching for another SP212 to run them in pair for bigger gigs and now, when one finally showed up, I got crazy good offer for Markbass 104HF, 8ohms, practically a steal.

I know how Markbass 102HF sounds like (I have had two of these), so I guess 104HF is in the same sound ballpark, only bigger sounding. I only wish the cab I was offered was 4ohms instead of 8 because I don't ever see myself pairing it with another one.

I also know how SP212 sounds like because I own one. Honestly, SP212 works better for me because it has bigger lows than Markbass 102HF, so I guess two of them should sound bigger than 104HF.

I'm leaning towards SP212 and I'm pretty sure I'll take it, but I wanted to hear it from you.. Is there any reason I should prefer Markbass over Orange? I really play a variety of styles, from hip-hop to alternative rock and fusion. I do miss some treble in Orange, but it generally sounds so sweet that it doesn't really bother me. I'm not into tweeter sound anyway.

Thanks! :)

2. aproud1

aproud1 I don't feel tardy? Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Two very different sounding cabs. If you know you like the Orange I would buy the second 12 and be done with it.

P-oddz likes this.
  3. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic

Agreed with above, if you know you like a cab, get another one.... But... Have you considered saving a little more and stepping up to something higher end? If you like big, solid tone without any flub or brittleness, Bag end makes a 212, although I think it's 4 ohms, never tried it but I'll bet it's violent. They make other 8 ohm stuff and it's all great, I have a 115. Bergantino makes 212's and 112's with tweeters that are not at all wimpy or brittle. Bag end and Bergantino may cost a little more, but for the warm tone you're describing (which I like too) you can't go wrong. There's just something about their perfectly constructed boxes and no nonsense speakers that sets them above anything else I've tried or owned- in fairness I haven't tried that Orange, and it seems cool in concept. Happy acquiring!

4. goran

goran

Big-name cabinets are out of question, I can't afford them unfortunately. Nevermind that, I bought another SP212 and I think I made the right decision. SP212 works great alone, but they slay in pair!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

good choice.

7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

If you can swing it, for yet another great lightweight option grab that Markbass if you think it's a steal.

8. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

goran, any photos? love to see two together!
    Great choice!

9. goran

goran

Sure! I love posting these pictures :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. trapezoid

trapezoid

Very true goran. the second cab makes for a bigger sound :hyper:

[​IMG]

11. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic

Those stacks sure do look like fun, I hope I get to try one (or 2) of those cabs out some day, I can't imagine what the isobaric speakers feel/sound like.
    It's definitely a similar look to my Bag End 2-15 stack, the cool thing about the Bag Ends is each cab is only an 18" cube so it's compact and easy to transport. The silly thing is, my Genz Benz 12.2 amp could run another stack... Maybe some day, you know, when I get that gig where I really need 4 15s.
    At NAMM this past year I played a couple Ken Smiths through an Epifani and a Bergantino stack of 12s with tweeters... Oh my. All I can say is it was much warmer and vintage sounding than you would think with tweeters, it's pretty amazing what $8,000 of gear can sound like (most of that's the bass, the amp and cabs would be "only" about $3000). All it takes is saving money... And not spending it on something else awesome first :)
    Well done with the Orange purchase, glad you got what you knew was best for you.