1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Orange TB500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by punisher911, Feb 12, 2013.

1. punisher911

punisher911

How many people have changed out the chinese tubes in their TB? Which ones did you use? What did it change on your amp?

I for one put some JJs ECC83s in mine and it made the EQ more useful. Originally it was only good as a cut. Nothing seemed to happen once the dial went past 12:00. Now I can boost the EQ well past 12:00 and hear a difference. Best $28 I spent.

I've heard/read that you can put a 12AT7 in the V1 spot for more clean headroom/volume before the breakup. But I'm happy with the Orange dirt/sound so I just kept 12AX7s while switching to a better set of tubes.
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Its a passive eq, so its all cut, but relatively, the mid is cut only, the bass and treble are boost only.
  3. justBrian

justBrian Supporting Member

I put a JAN 5751 in each spot. It's warmer and smoother all the way around...
  4. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

I swapped out the stock tubes for Tung-Sol 12AX7's. The result has been a smoother gain stage, which is what I was looking for.
  5. punisher911

punisher911

5751s were recommended to me for smoother gain by Eurotubes..
  6. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Thanks for this post! This reminds me to try some new tubes. I have tons of 12ax7's, NOS and as new old stock.
  7. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Frankly, I'd like even "smoother," if anyone has any suggestions. Or should I just get the 1000 watt model and b done with it? Sorry for hijacking...
  8. punisher911

punisher911

Not a hijack.. I've thought about the TB1000... but what do I need that kind of power for? I'd rather have a greater assortment of cab choices for my TB500 and make a tube change or two to get the power level/smoothness I want...
  9. justBrian

justBrian Supporting Member

This change made the amp much more usable, and still left plenty of headroom. Actually, I push it a lot further now without breaking up.

You could try a 12AT7 for even less gain--I think it would really mellow it out. If you search for the orange club, or Terror bass threads there is a chart of sorts that shows the relative gain of 12AX7 tubes, i.e. 12AX7 =100% 5751 =80%

:cool: