Orange Terror 500 vs Fender Bassman 100t

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Joe Kyle, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I have for your consideration two very different beasts here today, and, from the looks of it, something that my google-fu wasn't able to bring up a comparison on. I've played the Terror through a similar 2x10 setup as my practice rig, and dug it, but wanted to see the options out there.

My list so far is as follows:

Orange terror 500
    Pros:
    -Cheaper (though i'm almost to the full-tube experience)
    -Lighter
    -Less expensive long term ownership
    - Possibly louder (just by looking at watts) with just an 8 ohm cab, or two 8 ohms to knock it down to 4.

Cons:
    -I have a markbass LMII, I feel I'd just be replacing it with something more expensive/slightly better with an actual tube pre.
    -Would have to do some jimmying on my Mesa powerhouse 410 (8 ohm) to get a speakeron input in there. Not difficult, just extra work.

Fender Bassman 100T
    Pros:
    -All tube
    -Like the sound from videos (haven't seen one in person)
    -Dual channel
    -Auto Bias (something that I won't have to worry about with the terror)
    -Looks
    -Cleaner DI out (from what my searches have warranted)
    -Cleaner sound in general.

Cons:
    -Heavier than Terror bass (With the mesa 4x10 = a rig about 150lbs, with the 2x avatar cabs, ~125)
    -All tube (Expensive cost of ownership long term?)
    -Not one local to demo

I play mostly indie/prog rock with a fair amount of fast passages and some tapping. Would really like to get a chunk of that tube sound.

Can anyone shield some light on this predicament, and maybe we can act as a resource for people asking this question years from now.
    Thanks!

2. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

Orange is over-rated and over-priced with minimal options given to shape your tone. I would stick with the Markbass LMII. Unless you are not happy with it. If you want a good amp with a lower sticker price, check out Carvin. But, Markbass amps are good amps too!

3. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

I would keep the LMII as a backup/ dual amp rig for the rickenbacker. I'm quite happy with it, but its been a workhorse for about 5 years and i'd like to check out some other alleys.

Have looked at carvins briefly, but was hoping for something with tubes.

Thanks for the input!

4. Bulldawg82

Understood. Peavy's VB3 looks pretty nice, but I have yet to try one out. I have only tried the Ampeg tubers and they sound great. Markbass has a tube amp now as well. If you haven't checked those out (on their website), you should. I can't find them anywhere so as to try one out though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Teacher

Teacher

The more powerful Carvins have tube pres as well.

7. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

I've given the Randy Jackson model a go, it was good, but it still had that markbass vibe to it.

Between the bassman and the terror, which would you guys go with?

8. Bulldawg82

I've tried both of those and preferred the Fender.

9. Bulldawg82

In my band, I play thru a range of garage rock style to metal, so being able to shape my tone is very important to me. The Fender gives you more options than the minimalist toning abilities of the Orange. But, for some - the Orange has the sound they want. It all comes down to your ear and your needs.

10. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Thank you once again for the input!

I did really dig the Terror, I just wanted something that would do a bit more of a clean, full sound, and, as you said, give a bit more tone shaping ability.

The 100w of the Bassman has me a bit worried about volume, even with the impedence switched to 8 and a 4x10.

11. Bulldawg82

An option - if you really feel that the Orange is the girl for you - is to invest in a pedal (or pedals) to color your sound more (if you feel you need that). The Orange 500 is cheaper than the Fender and does give you more volume as well.
    As far as the sound of either one goes - that is up to the individual ear. Two people will disagree on this choice easily.

Joe Kyle likes this.
  12. SpruceGoose54

SpruceGoose54

I agree that the Orange isn't versatile and always has that grinding rock tone according to my ears. I've used one a few times at a rehearsal space. But it does sound great if you want that sound and sounds really close to a tube amp.

13. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

So this is an old thread, but I'd like to update for anyone in a similar situation:

Wound up purchasing a Bass Terror 500 as a new backup along with the Bassman.
    The 100T is really really nice, but with the orange, I don't need to worry about volume. At. All.

The 100T is also definitely cleaner sounding, but the Orange's baked in rock tone is quite pleasing. I wind up running it with full treble, about 3'oclock mid, and 8.30 bass. It won't get as sweet as the bassman, but it will do on gigs where I only want to bring a 212 or don't know if there will be a PA.