Orange terror 500 vs. tc electronic rh750

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Leaveit2B, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Leaveit2B

Leaveit2B

Debating on which head to get. It's either the orange terror 500, or the tc 750. The cab is avatar neo 410. The style of the band I'm in is dark bluesy rock (almost new-age sabbath, heavier sung vocals). Which head is typically best suitable for that style? I want something that'll sound great with the gain pretty high, or something that'll take the big muff well. I do also enjoy playing clean, sometimes. Any opinions appreciated.
  2. countrybass007

countrybass007

I've been very happy with my Orange TT500.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1
    The TT500 would be my choice as well.
  4. Basstardus

Basstardus

when I wanted to buy a new amp, I wanted a class D amp. So it was either TB500H + 2x SP212 either TC RH450 + 2x RS212, tried them both, and tried RH750 even though I couldn't afford it at the time, and the Orange head was far better then TC in that funk/blues-rock stuff I do. But if you want a cleaner sounding amp, go for TC RH750!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

The tt sure looks nice. Used the guitar version in a session a bit ago and was totally blown away! I have heard some reliability issues w the bass version...any owners confirm?
  7. rhopper

rhopper

I have been using the TB500 for 2.5 years now and had one of the tubes go bad after about a year of use. Replaced the tube (GT tube) and it has been rock solid.
  8. Musicman20

Musicman20

I love both amps. I don't own a Terror Bass as I have the AD200b, but I've spent time with one.

It's quite a growly thick warm sounding powerhouse.

I own a RH750 and its fantastic. Nice modern take on a vintage tone.
  9. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

No brainer on that one - Terror Bass! Great value in this little guy.
  10. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality Supporting Member

I'm a new owner of a TB1000, so I can't speak much towards its reliability, but it is one killer of an amp.
  11. punisher911

punisher911

Digging my TB500 so far.
  12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

I've been playing reasonably clean, modern amps for the past several years; (Mesa M6 carbine, Markbass LMII etc)

I demo'd the TB1000 at a gig and it has an unGodly amount of power that I just don't see needing. The Orange TB500H however is nearly as thunderous and has tons of headroom. So I bought the Orange TB500H. I just did my first few gigs with the Orange TB500 and I am completely blown away! I did a loud dance/cover band gig, funky motown bluesy gig and even a Duo gig with an acoustic guitarist. The TB500 has such a killer tone. So easy to dial in. The DI works great! Love the carry case and even the lunchbox form factor is pretty cool. (especially compared to the Rack mount Mesa M6 carbine that I've been hauling around!)

I've been trying to get away from uber clean, clear and modern sounding amps. As much as I love the mightly Mesa M6 Carbine, the Mesa always borders on clean and clear and modern.

I MUCH prefer the Orange. In fact, I am madly in LOVE with this amp. I paired it with my Bergantino AE410 and it punches, growls and everything else. Meaty slap tones with its old school grind.

Can't believe there isn't more mad crazy love for the Orange TB500H. There is a lot but it deserves more attention IMO/IME.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

Congrats man! I bet the TB500/AE410 is a growl BEAST.
  14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bought a Terror Bass for small venues with no FOH support in mind. I run two 1x15 cabs. This little amp kills, thick, meaty, growley vintage tone with plenty of low end punch. I can't believe I am saying this but I like it better than my '75 Hiwatt DR201. Get the Orange you won't regret it.
  15. GRoberts

No surprise here given my personal experience with the TB500H as well. It is truly amazing. GREAT tone and TONS of power/headroom. Growl, punch, meaty tone. YES, exactly!! :D
  16. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality Supporting Member

That is one hell of an endorsement.
  17. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

RH750 very clean. The Orange amp sounded great and had more of an anolog sound. It's gonna have to be your preferrence. I went with the RH750 because of the clean sound but I can dial up a dirty sound. But that's just my opinion.
  18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have no use for clean lol that's why I went with the Orange
  19. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

someone looking for a clean sound would probably be considering different heads then either of these.
  20. aasti3000

aasti3000 Supporting Member

but like I said you can dial up a dirty sound so you can have both and preset the tone and you'll have it at the push of a button. But that's me. I need both for recording in my studio. I couldn't get both from the orange. But I did like it....nice amp.
  21. GRoberts

I used to gravitate to "Clean" only. But I've come to realize how great it is to have some grit and grind. Not full blown overdrive. I still get mostly a clean sound, but there is just the right amount of grind in the midrange of the Orange Terror that it cuts through the band mix like crazy!