1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orange terror vs Mesa bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mikenel169, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

I own a mesa m2k and was looking to hear from some orange owners on the terror 500 or 1000. Ive been gassin' over orange lately but am unable
    to try the little terror out. i play mostly thrash, doom metal in my band and my mesa kicks ass. just wanted to see if anyone had a mesa then went orange vise versa.

lets hear some opinions!

2. mikenel169

How about your thoughts/experience with the orange bass terror. Also is there any wherr to get a custom made head case like the ad200's. i do know about the side DI maybe being an issue with a head case

3. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I tried out an Orange Terror last weekend and I was not impressed. I own Mesa and the Orange just didn't come close. I found it to have a really dry tone, not much life to it. Just my $.02

4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

I love my Terror Bass! First amp in a long time that I'd really liked my tone without pedals. I am running fuzz and distortion here, but a lot of the tone comes from the amp's gain stage as well. I've never played Mesa so I can't really compare, but I love this amp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

It is a bit of a dry sound. I use a Terror 500 and an Ampeg PF-500 depending on the backline, and I can honestly dial 'em both in pretty similarly, in fact I even prefer the Portaflex in some rooms - the compressor is a huge plus, and the signature Ampeg shelf buttons and 5-position mid selector just give it that sound. I usually have to almost dime the treble on the Orange, scoop the mids pretty hard. That being said, the Terror is a great amp, I use 'em all the time.

7. countrybass007

countrybass007

The Orange TT500 is a great amp. I replaced my Boogie D180 with it, and I can get the same sound from the Orange. The tube lovers will deny this is possible, but I'm lugging a lot lighter rig that still makes me happy with my tone.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

can you do the loud clean of the d180 with volume 2 at 2 and master volume at 10

9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Very different animals for sure. I tend to think of Mesa as a very clean amp with not much of a signature tone. What you put in is what you get out. Tone controls are very good and amp is fast and punchy.

Meanwhile the Orange has the kind of tone which you either love or hate. I has lots of personality. I think of it as a rock and rock or heavy metal amp. It's not your run of the mill amp and I suspect it would take a little time to get used to it since it has its own personality.

Pass that, they are both great amp and I think it boils down to tonal preferences more than anything else.

10. mikenel169

I really need to try the Orange out. Unfortunately its like finding a needle in a haystack at my local Guitar Centers.

My Mesa is sweet but i basically use the tube ( preamp tube) section on it and everything is dialed at noon with no eq. I also use a BBE sonic maximizer which makes it sound warmer IMO. I was basically looking to get rid of the whole lugging the rack system to a much lighter option. Its bad enough i have 2 x 410s to lug around :)

Also how is the tubeyness on the orange? I notice a standby before the power on, which is a little confusing to why the amp needs to warm up preamp tubes?

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i'm looking for a kind of punch you in the face iggy pop/stooges precision tone

last halloween, i saw a death metal band that warmed up for danzig use the orange and it was great for that

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I bet one of those Orange heads would sound great through Mesa cabs. Never tried one, from what I hear it's a nice sounding amp with basically one tone. If you are a Doom guy it should work great.

I wouldnt give up my 400 or D180 for one. Those old tube amps are so versatile for every style and I get phenomenal sounds out of the D180 for guitar.

13. mikenel169

Man the Mesa 400 non plus is what i really want but hard to find!