1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Orchestral bass at Berkeley.

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by Barongket, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Barongket

Barongket

Hey Steve, my son a, young bassist, and I met you at the ISB convention at Eastman ( you gave him a Berkeley cap). You mentioned that you were initiating a orchestral department. How's that progressing? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1379691533.203706.jpg
  2. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

I remember you guys, for sure.

There has been emphasis on strings here for a while. The Berklee Contemporary String Orchestra and other chamber groups, string sections for pop and rock stuff, have been around for a while.
    What I mentioned to you was that the Bass Department is adding a position for a "classical" instructor. We believe that good foundational skills are important to develop as a strong bassist (virtuoso level) and this primarily comes from disciplined left hand, and arco studies. (as does strong pitch center)
    Having a dedicated "fundamentalist" to work with our DB performance majors will be a great thing for our students.
    Our plan is to have this in place by the Spring.
    Having said that, our emphasis is on Contemporary Music; has been, always will be. That is one major factor that sets Berklee apart from other great schools. This "legit" instruction will better enable our students to handle a variety of situations.

Boston has an Amazing double bass talent pool given the major orchestras here and a plethora of other great symphonic groups.
  3. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

To follow up on this, we are proud to announce that Susan Hagen has joined the 20+ bass faculty at Berklee. She is specializing in technical foundation development, arco studies, and is also teaching some "classical technique" labs.

Unfortunately Susan had to be late for our first faculty meeting. Her excuse was that the Boston Symphony Orchestra rehearsal ran right up to 1PM…

EXCUSED!!!!