Ordered a 4 ohm cab from LDS - got an 8 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by basss, Mar 15, 2014.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

I just received a custom cab loaded with a Faital 15PR400 woofer. The cab looks great BUT I had ordered it with a 4 ohm woofer and recieved and 8 ohm cab. The cab has a crossover and that would need to be redesigned so I can't just swap the woofer out.

Don has told me that there isn't much difference in volume between the two woofers. I only plan on using this cab by itself so I don't need the 8 ohm and wanted to use my amps to their full potential. I'll probably be happy with the 8 ohm cab and in the off chance that I do someday want to use it with another cab the 8 ohms would be better. But - It's not what I ordered.

What do you think? Worth it to send the cab back across country to fix this? Would there be much difference with the 4 ohm speaker?

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

He's right that there won't be a massive difference in volume.

However, I'd be wanting what I asked for in the first place and all shipping would be on LDS given it was them that sent the wrong thing in the first place.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Correct.

But I would give it a fair trial to see if Don knew better what I actually wanted.

As far as potential volume loss goes, it depends what wattage you have available and the actual power handling of the cab with the EQ you like to use.

I can fart out 8ohm cabs with my little Trace 250 which is but 180w at 8ohm.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

IME, it would not be worth it. You may want to seek a price adjustment, though, as compensation. I would have ordered it as 8 ohm to start with as they work well with bridged power amps (wider voltage swing). Sidenote: on another thread, we're discussing a MarkBass head which shuts down when faced with a 4 ohm Acme cab. Turns out the head has a very sensitive current protection system which hits the kill-switch if the impedance drops below 4 ohm for any discernible span...and a 4 ohm enclosure can drop below 4 ohms! Just a consideration and may not apply to your situation.

Riis

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius

I'm assuming this wasn't one that was off the shelf, but a custom order, correct? If that was the case, I would be quite put out, to put it mildly.

7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

The best way to decide is if your Amp is good down to 2 ohms or not. You will be able to add a second Cab if it's only good down to 4 ohms. If your Amp is good down to 2 ohms then you can run 2 X 4 ohm Cabs. I like to run 2 X 4 Ohm cabs with either of my amps.

8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Did he apologize for error and offer to correct it? Or did he justify it and say you should deal with it?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

If he agrees that it is completely his error and he made a mistake and got your order wrong he should fix it and pay for shipping. Perhaps you could offer to pay shipping one way, and he the other.

Regardless, the right thing for him to do is fix his mistake and not try to talk you out of it.

My .02.

10. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Yup! From the specs I pulled up, both the 4 and 8ohm speakers are rated the same wattage wise. Your head is deciding factor here. I mean amp head; though obviously your actual head will be making the decision :D

fnord!

to clarify: If your amp can push 400 rms at 8 ohms, the switch to the 4 ohm speaker offers no value.

11. atrapp

atrapp Gold Supporting Member

Small shop, mistakes happen. If you're really upset, have him send a new driver swap it out and return the existing. I would ask that he manage all shipping. That said I use a dual 15 loaded with the faital driver that was made by Don - my got to larger club cab - love it!

12. wmheilma

wmheilma

Call Don. He is very reasonable to work with. My orders with him have always arrived as planned. I also used email as a way to agree on what drivers, hardware, etc. I have two cabs built a year apart that stack perfectly.

13. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

IMHO, four ohm cabs are not a good idea. The volume increase is negligible. The inability to add cabs (generally) detracts from the cab's value.

I understand the notion of wanting to get the most out of your amp, but it really does not make a noticeable difference.

The option to add a cab, however, is invaluable.

14. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

If you amp head puts out 80 watts at 8 ohms and over 150 at 4 ohms then the difference of the 4 ohm driver MIGHT be worth it. If you are talking 350 and 500 the difference as you go higher in the starting wattage means it makes less difference to sound output. Numbers are nice but they don't make sound, speaker displacement does.

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Without regard to which cab may actually be 'best' for your situation ... why cant you send the crossover back with the driver to be modified, and then re-install that with the 'ordered' driver when received ?? ... no need to ship the entire cabinet, this is all 'bolt on' components ...

16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Okay, assuming from your Public Profile that you are still running your cabs with the GK MB500=500W @ 4 ohms, 350W @ 8 ohms. The adage by the B-string rings true, and I would be happy that I was shipped the 8 ohm by mistake but still ask them to extend a credit towards your next purchase, since you're such a nice guy to accept an obvious error by the company. ;)

fnord!

17. Foz

Foz

My LDS experience in a nutshell.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

An extra 150w of power at the upper end won't make diddly extra volume. 1dB if you're lucky. The first 350w will just about max the 8ohm version. Happy days.

19. Rob22315

Rob22315

I'd ask for the 4 ohm unit I ordered. I would never feel satisfied leaving it as is.

If I had any remote plans to run two cabs, then I'd ask for a discount on the second cab.

20. basss

basss Supporting Member

I'm confident Don will take care of me if I decide to send the cab back. I'm thinking it may not make a big difference though so I may not bother. I've been running a GK MB500 into an 8 ohm cab for a while and it has almost always been enough for me. I wanted the 4 ohm for those rare occasions where I feel like I need a bit more headroom. This cab should be a bit more efficient than my last one so it may not be an issue. He thinks the cab may have been mislabeled - said he's gonna let em know.

21. KJung

KJung

Don's service and support is great. He will make it right, if you choose to go that direction.

The impact of impedance depends on a lot of things. In your case of a powerful driver that can handle a good dose of power both thermally and mechanically, and given that you have a very low powered head, the difference between 8ohms and 4ohms will be meaningful (a bit more max volume, and more importantly, a more open, full low end with your amp not running up against its limiting circuitry as much, etc.).

Normal single driver or drivers, high powered head (like a 112 or 210 or whatever with an amp that put out at least 300 watts into 8ohms) ... I wouldn't bother. A high end driver like that with a low powered head..... I would send it back. It won't 'change your life' or anything, but it will make a positive difference.