1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ordered a complete Redactive system for my P/J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I am skeptical and stoked at the same time. I popped for the switchable P and J pickups and the no solder harness for this bass. Here's to hoping.

2. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. Geni758

Geni758

I'm also considering this.

Please let us know how you do/don't like it after the install.

4. Stinsok

They were sent Priority mail but they are late. I will post pics of the process, etc.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stinsok

Installed them. Took my time, read and re-read the diagrams before starting. Got it back together-The P pickup is great. Not a "vintage" tone as they describe but strong and clear. The J pickup is a different story. A very large amount of hiss when the volume is wide open. I have checked my work, I'm pretty certain I have my part right.

7. Stinsok

I emailed GFS about the noise issue. The response was kind of dismissive, saying that there is going to be a little noise when you are "three inches away from your amp." Well, I got out the old iphone and made them a video of the horrible white noise. They came back and said "There does appear to be an issue with that pickup." I'm going to have to scrap the project and go back to passives for this bass.

8. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

hello out there... anything?

9. Stinsok

They said they had another J model in the works and could swap whenever they came in. I opted to send them back. Installed a Tone Monster Preamp instead .

10. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Resurrecting this old thread. I ordered a set of the switchable REDactives , J J in my case and they hiss like a plexi with 5 pedals in front of it. I checked my wiring, turned all the switches to the off position, new batt reinstalled and still...hisss city. I just want to say I have been very pleased with their passives for both bass and guitar.
    Looking past the hiss, they really have a good tone and nice range. but man, no matter how I EQ my amp , hiss at different resonant frequencies.
    I have e-mailed them about it, I guess they only deal with return issues once a week.
    Don't buy 'em !

11. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad I saw this, as I was about to order the J J set. Thank you for the reviews.

12. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

Big UPS on the review.you saved me a lot of time money and hart ach. Was going to get the redactive pj set for my mikro. But forget it. still thinking about the passive pickups by gfs

13. RED J

Yeah guys , it's really a let down. When you unpack them it's like wow, everything is really quality, and I guess material wise, they are but phew,it was just extreme.
    I don't intend a general slagging on GFS, I have and will continue to do business, generally very satisfied. But...sorry this is their flopster.
    BTW, somebody is going to jump in and say you cant run actives wide open. I ain't talking about wide open, I'm talking just cracking the tone control from zero to one and it grows from there. Even on zero if you try to eq in some clarity on the amp its like different flavors of ambient noise.

14. eukatheude

eukatheude

Red J, have you checked your wiring? Those sound very interesting for the price.

?

15. RED J

I did . I even pulled the battery and ran them dry, you have to crank everything way up on the amp to get a gain. The sound was there though very weak,, all controls worked, but the hiss was gone. Seems physical connections were fine.
    No hum like a ground hum, just hiss, like a high gain amp with pedals in front of it

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I kind of figured that their active pickups would be to good to be true.

I bought a set of guitar humbuckers from GFS, strictly for aesthetic reasons and was very surprised how good they sounded.

17. RED J

It seems stinsoks experience as well as mine shows these are an anomaly, but still, wish i had read this before I ordered. Just don't want to see anybody else waste their time and money on these particular pickups. I'm a GFS fan in general.