Ordered my new G&L, it'll be here Friday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Myrriad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Myrriad

Myrriad

2. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

it is a beauty!....

have no fear...you'll love it.

[​IMG]

3. Myrriad

Myrriad

Thanks man! Been a bit discouraged on playing bass lately with the old Ibanez, so I figured...alright, let's step up from $200 to $700, get some real quality, order the Hal Leonard bass method, and dig in.

4. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

Nothing sounds like those MFDs. It's probably the future of passive, as far as I'm concerned. Roll of treble and bass independently? Whoooo-whee! Plus the series/parallel switch, you're in for a treat. Might want to check out the bassesbyleo forum if you're feeling brave: they've got a mod to change the series/parallel switch to a three-way that includes a single coil (outer or inner coils, depending on your preference) option. Never did it myself to the ASAT, but plenty of people swear by the hot jazz tone it'll give you, especially with the outer coils.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Hey, I LOVE my Ibby 206! It's killer. But also it's not like my three G&L L2500 basses. Call them the anti-ibby. Agressive. Powerful. Versatile. Fat-necked. Modern, yet they still bring some tradition. Just NOTHING quite like a G&L! Nothing like a G&L to get those precious bodily fluids going again!

So to me it's not which bass is "best" but rather which bass does what.

But a G&L for NBD? That still is about as good as it gets! I know. I've been there three times!

7. Myrriad

Myrriad

Ahh, no insult to Ibanez, but I started on a 205 (meant that in the first post, my bad), and starting with that extra string turned me off a bit. And if anyone's wondering, that up there is a G&L Tribute L2000 in 3 tone Sunburst. Got it as a B-Stock (one small scratch on the back) for $450.

8. Myrriad

Myrriad

Just ordered a clip-on tuner, metronome, extra strings, and a 6 pack of carbon fiber picks...I am excited.

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

I briefly had one, your very same (3TS and maple fingerboard),
    I just traded it for the carved top one (rosewood fingerboard).
    View attachment 308819
    I added Hipshot BT7 bass extender (I play full step dowtuned: D, G, C, F and with the detuner on C, G, C, F) but didn't do that on the brand new one: it's regularly tuned E, A, D, G with
    no detuner: I'm usin' it in my allround rock cover outfit, instead
    that in my thrashmetal band (with whom I play my G&L L2500 carved top tuned A, D, G, C, F)
    View attachment 308820

You'll find the neck to be pleasantly chunky and substantial, but the bass (even if I play fingerstyle only) plays like butter with picks (especially carbon ones)

You'll just have to get accustomed to its sheer power

Think that I use to play with a full pedalboard: no need for it with G&Ls

With passive selector and pickups in serial mode you can tear down your walls thru a proficient 4x10" cab

Open your horn up dial active with highboost and parallel mode
    and you'll reach some serious slappin' (ash body and maple fingerboard, just dare and try it out:bassist:)

You'll love it

MII? Alright: yet hardware, electronics and tonewoods (maybe
    not same American quality) stay the same!

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Awesome sick bass. Welcome to the club. I have the same one and its a beast. Look into the single coil mod...well worth it. I really like passive and parallel with the treb rolled off a hair. Anyway, awesome enjoy.....and clip on tuner good call. Better than a pedal IMO

11. johnson79

johnson79

I miss my ASAT. Great basses.

12. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Welcome to the fraternity. Enjoy it, grow with it, gig it, and get yourself a USA specimen, down the line.

BTW: I have had both Tribute and USA versions. There is something to be said for a reinforced, PLEK'd neck. Also, you will find that a Hipshot Xtender will not match the tuners on a Trib, but they can make you one that is perfecto for a USA (and both of my 'merican ones have 'em).

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I have the exact same one only the five string model. Love it! That thing is powerful.

14. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Nice! I'm also the owener of a Tribby L2K, and love it.

I'll also recommend the single coil mods. My favorite is inner, followed by outer, parallel and finally series (not the series doesn't sound good, it's kust less awesome than the others to my ears).

Mod instructions are in a link in the signature line of TB user DavePlaysBass.

15. drnknmstr

drnknmstr

16. shackled

shackled

Very cool! I'm getting a G&L tomorrow, too! :hyper:

17. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I fell on hard times and sold my US L-2500....I'm still heartbroken. I loved that bass.

18. mystic38

mystic38

My SB-2 has been here about a week...coming from an Ibanez SRA500 i am still in shock! :)