1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Original 68 Tele Bass Mod Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ampig, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

There's a good possibilty that I may be working with an electric band again soon and I want to use my all original 68 Tele on gigs. The tone pot is scratchy and a touch intermittent. I'm considering pulling out the pickup, control plate assemby and jack and replacing them with aftermarket parts. Don't yell at me, but I'm thinking I might get a better sound with new clean electronics and a modern pickup. There will be no routing and the entire control assembly will be securely stored with a dessicant pack.

Bad idea?
    Good idea? (if so any suggestions on a source for an aftermarket Tele pickup?)

2. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Great idea. that long pole piece at the A string can cause a lot of unnecessary problems

3. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

?????

4. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    It's your bass- if you're not happy with it you should fix it so that it works for you.
    Just keep all the old parts and you can restore it to original if you ever decide to sell.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fcoda

fcoda

IMO you have the god idea , your not altering the body and you still have all the original parts. Finding drop in replacements is the way to go and you still have a unmolested 68 Tele.

7. vin*tone

vin*tone

I wouldn't. One way to tell if parts and finish are original on a vintage fender is to check if the solder is undisturbed.

I would find a cheap 51ri. And mod away.

8. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Probably won't do that. My tele is super light and has an unbelievable neck. No interest in a 51RI (or buying any more basses)

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

As long as you don't rout the bass, and keep the original parts, what you're doing is fine. Broken solder connections don't make that much a difference on a bass in this price range.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

11. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

try the Duncan scpb 3. It is the 1/4 pound version and is hot and very fat sounding.

12. chadds

chadds

The Rio Grande Muy Grande pickup sounds the same as OEM but more lows and sweet highs.
    I'd clean those pots or replace and save.
    You didn't say you would but don't change the bridge. It made no difference.

13. mongo2

mongo2

Just because new parts are used doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better. If necessary, a cleaning of the original pots and output jack may be all that's needed for the bass to provide many more years of service.