1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Original band:Got 3 very good songs recorded professionally, now we need the website!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by kookykrispy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. kookykrispy

kookykrispy

OK guys, we finally have 3 songs recorded. I've been playing with these guys for about 2 years. We've worked hard and we finally saved up enough to get 3 songs recorded at a pro studio. The songs sound amazing and we got them mastered too.

We are taking this step by step… trying to go somewhere with our music.

Next steps: we need to build a website. We purchased the domain name from go daddy. So I've got that, but not sure where to go from here. I don't know much about websites and neither do my bandmates. I've poked around and determined the kind of pro website we want is probably not going to come from some 'freeware' or free source. I'm willing to pay, but I want a good value. I don't know crap about hosting or hypertext mark-up or whatever.

I do know the website needs to have this stuff on it:

An embedded player for our music, and eventually ability to link youtube video, or even live stream from shows.

A place to list our upcoming shows

A place for us to post 'blog' entries (I'm not a blogger, but I'm gonna learn)

A place for fans to sign up for our mailing list

A place to download music, and buy CD's and/or mercy

Links to facebook, reverbnation, follow us on twitter, (what the hell is twitter anyway? I guess we need this to connect with fans?, something else I don't do, but I'm willing to learn) etc.

Any help is wonderful! Thanks everyone. Sorry if this got posted already

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Have a look at bandzoogle.com. There are others specifically tailored for music.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

Media:
  4. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Do you have a youtube or facebook/reverbnation or whatever? I would love to hear your songs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Media:
    My band leader registered our .com to redirect to our Reverbnation site. Maybe not a polished as a custom site, but worked fine for us.

7. aggrokragg

aggrokragg

That bandzoogle.com site looks nice. Wordpress has a lot of plugins for music as well. In my last band our drummer was a graphic/web designer so he did everything for us, but it turned out people used Myspace/Facebook to check out our stuff and find out about shows more than the site we designed and paid for.

To give you an idea of how badly I just dated myself, I said "Myspace". :)

8. kookykrispy

kookykrispy

3 responses suggesting bandzoogle… must be something to it then. It does look good to me too, and it seems it will allow us to do everything I mentioned able that we need in our band's website. Although I am skeptical of course, because everything costs money, and we want to make the right decision. I'll talk to the guys about it at rehearsal on Thursday. We make all decisions like this together, as a band. Is anyone actually using Bandzoogle?? FourFour? Wix? others band website builders??

I just talked to our singer. He says he actually has had a twitter account already for the band for years. He tells me he sent one 'tweet' ever. Hahaha! Well at least thats a start. We'll be 'tweeting' more, and we want to use all the social media resources we can to connect with our fans.

Our singer has the password to our Reverbnation and Facebook pages. He will be uploading our new songs to our reverberation page tomorrow, and when that happens, then I promise I will post the link here so you guys can hear our music. Thank you for bearing with us. We are all this excited about our new songs >>> :hyper:

9. Denver Max

Denver Max

I would go with Bandcamp personally. Embedded streaming of your music, easy to find your band on there, and you can link to your Facebook, twitter, etc from the page. As far as blogs go, I would go with Tumblr. Popular right now, and its free.

10. Zephrant

Zephrant

I've read some nasty stories about go daddy... I would never keep one of my domains there. Find a smaller place that cares if you have problems, and will help you out. Do it before you have an issue...

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Yes. My band's website is through bandzoogle.com. You can try it for free for a while but your web address will be something like mybandnameisawesome.bandzoogle.com. Once you start paying your money you get your own domain and the 'bandzoogle' part goes away.

Have a look at my band's website...

http://www.kellyraeband.com/

BassCliff

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Welcome to level one of an originals band. IMO I would just use Facebook. It's free and it gets allot more hits and views than a normal website.

My old originals band was ready to drop our website to save costs as for everybody including venues viewed our facebook only. We had trouble getting traffic to the website..facebook no problem.

Set up a facebook and try it before you buy a domain site. This way when somebody asks you say check us out on facebook. You can also blog, post, and use it with twitter to reach fans in seconds.

You can't do that with a website and reach people as quickly . One example is directions to and when is the gig ? With website no idea and how do you update if there is a change? With facebook you can use your phone facebook shows then right on the site phones etc.. You can also invite folks and see who might be coming to your shows.

FWIW. Congrats on the 3 songs but do not get to excited. It takes allot of blood, sweat and tears to get your music out. Keep the faith and good luck.

13. kookykrispy

kookykrispy

Thanks for the tips. We already have a Facebook and reverberation site. We've had these for a few years now. For those who asked, new songs are uploaded now, you can go and listen to them here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/hellasunshine

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hella-Sunshine/129884120488960

Bassbully: Our natural progression as a band is to create out OWN website. We want to do this for many reasons, but the main one is that we are trying to transition from being a amateur garage band to being more professional. Having a Facebook page is great, but I've read several places that a professional band should have their own website… Not just Facebook. We aspire to gain a wider fan base, and ultimately get better shows at bigger venues. This requires stepping up our game. Our own site will not replace the Facebook site, but will simply augment what we already have and add to it. We'll drive traffic to hellasunshine.com and on that site, link to twitter, Facebook, reverb nation, and any other social media we can think of. Not everyone uses Facebook, or any other single application. By being ONLY on Facebook and reverb nation, we know we are limiting ourselves.

Zephrant: how do I go about moving the domain from Go Daddy to somewhere else? I simply paid the $ to register the name for 2 years, and have done nothing beyond that… because I thought you had to do something like 'register' your domain to basically get the 'rights' to it? I really have no idea what I'm doing here. I'm a musician, not a tech computer internet guy. Any help is appreciated!

Basscliff: That is a nice looking site you guys have. How much a month do you pay for it?

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Cool..I understand. I was just giving you my experiences with my old band.
    We felt the same way that we had to have our own site and we had a good one. The issue became later that Facebook was a better tool and was free. Good luck.

15. bassboysam

bassboysam

I don't understand why you need a website. If you have a facebook page and a bandcamp page then that covers off all your requirements..

When was the last time you discovered a band by stumbling on to their own .com website? it doesn't happen anymore. People spend most of their time on Facebook and Youtube. In my opinion a website would not be a wise use of your resources. you need exposure. No one is going to land on your website. the internet is just too vast.

16. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Hey man, I like your tunes. Well done!

17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    www.bandcamp.com + www.facebook.com + www.twitter.com
    You can link them together and they will get your band a ton of internet "traffic"
    Individual websites for bands (and reverbnation.com) are as dead as CD's (which, let's be honest, ARE dead).
    Don't waste your time.

18. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1 all day long.

What is the need to "look" professional with your own website? The next level is getting more and more people to come see you play and look you up later, and that is done much more effectively through the above outlets. I would put my resources first into YouTube content.

If a web site really does suit a need, then I will add to the list of people recommending bandzoogle. Way easier and more professional looking than anything else I've seen for bands.

19. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Yes, you're right in that you have to register your domain and pay to have the rights to it. And you don't have to move it from GoDaddy. You can build your website anywhere and link it with your domain. We tend to think of domain names as addresses that mark a permanent location, but they are really more like phone numbers. A phone number is yours and can be attached to any phone you buy through any phone service company you choose, and domain names work basically the same way.

20. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Good tunes but not a fan of the vocals for the most part - some moments in House of Ill Repute that were ok vocally.

21. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

We've got the "Pro" package for $19.95 a month.

The band also has a Facebook page. Kelly keeps a weekly blog on the website to update our fans and clients. Posting blog links to Facebook drives traffic to the site.

The stand-alone website is part of our EPK that high-end clients like to see. It has pictures, videos, song list, schedule, bio, etc. It's less cluttered than a Facebook page and a little more professional. We do what we can to get the gigs we want. I'm sure most of you do the same. Just do anything and everything to get your name and your sound out there. Break a leg!

BassCliff