1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Original Edition CR Jeff Berlin Exotic – Redwood Burl Top, Black Hardware

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Low Main, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

SOLD

This is a bit of a rare bird, made in the Czech Republic circa 1999 – there are far fewer of these Exotics than there are of the Berlin Standards from that period. Custom wound Barts, ebony fretboard, redwood burl top, maple body, and BadAss bridge as per Jeff Berlin’s specs. This is in excellent condition overall and all passive with a volume-volume-tone layout, and room in the generous control cavity for adding an onboard preamp for those who are so inclined.

The hardware has been converted from gold to black, with the tuners going from Schaller to Gotoh in the process. All the hardware is new. The black looks far superior, especially against the burl top, IMO. Nice straight grain maple in the neck.

The finish specs are as follows: full gloss on the front of the headstock, a thin satin finish on the back of the neck, and a matte oil type of finish on the body. The neck finish is very smooth and inviting. It feels like a rubbed out nitro finish that has been played a bit. The only marking on the body is a small area of the top where a plucking hand thumbnail made a pattern of tiny impressions in the burl top. It’s almost like a textured effect and did not go through the finish.

For those who are not familiar with these basses, please note that this is a much different, higher quality bass than later JB editions that were made in Korea and elsewhere and featured lower grade tonewoods, hardware, and electronics. This is the top grade model of the higher quality original edition production run.

This is $599.00 shipped to the CONUS in either a new well-padded gigbag or a used Gator GL lightweight case in good condition, according to the buyer's preference.

Attached Files:

2. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

More photos:

Attached Files:

3. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Three piece carbon fiber reinforced neck.

Attached Files:

4. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

The bass weighs a mere 8 lbs.

The neck is 1 1/2 in. at the nut and is 3/4 in. from front to back at the nut.

Attached Files:

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I've got one of these with a zebrawood top. It's a great axe well worth the asking price. The quality on these was really very very good.
  6. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I found two more pics taken a couple of summers ago. I figured it was worth posting them. They show the thickness of the burl top, etc.

Lakland Scheff fans: the pickup locations on this bass are very close to the pickup locations on the Scheff 4. Just 1/8 in. difference.

Attached Files:

7. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Here's a video of Jeff Berlin playing one of these original edition signature basses. He's playing a Standard, without the upgraded Exotic top.

8. almost human

almost human

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

What is the scale length on this bass? Fingerboard radius?
    Thanks
  9. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

It's a standard 34" scale.

Fingerboard radius is 18 inches.
  10. almost human

almost human

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks for responding, i'm looking for something with a shorter scale.
    best of luck with the sale.
  11. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Thanks for looking. There's a 32" scale Fender Aero Jazz for sale on TB if that's of any interest to you. The listing should be searchable.
  12. almost human

almost human

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That one doesn't appeal to me, but thank you for the heads up.
  13. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

I've tried several other Fender mounting pattern five hole bridges on these basses, and the BadAss is the one that sounds the best and makes the bass come alive, to my ears. It was chosen as original equipment for this bass for a good reason.

I had always wondered whether or not there was really a noticeable difference in sound between a BA bridge and other bridges and these JB basses were the instruments that convinced me that there was a difference.

But many other Fender five hole pattern bridges will mount right on with no mods needed, if you want to experiment.
  14. MrWalker

MrWalker

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Beautiful bass, and a gem in it's own right. I have owned two of these, and they were great both of them. If you play it through a 15" combo, like Jeff's signature Markbass amp, you can get a sound that's pretty close. The rest you have to work on your fingers to get. But it's truly an amazing bass and an awesome price. I'm not currently in the market for one, but if I was, I would have snagged it. Just felt like chipping in and giving a thumbs up for an amazing bass. Someone is bound to get lucky on this :)

This is probably the most beautiful top Ive seen on these Czech made basses, too. I've had the Zebrawood and the Standard in honey. But this is by far the most beautiful one.

Good luck with the sales. :) (hope you don't mind the free bump and the non-buyer post).
  15. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

An awesome post which is deeply appreciated, Mr. Walker.

Tusen takk!

Here is a clip of Jeff playing what looks to be a burl top original edition JB bass, much like this one:

http://www.deanguitars.com/jeff_berlin.php

Holde varmen alle.
  16. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    114   0   0

Wow, I'm not generally a fan of these basses aesthetically but this one looks super cool! I totally agree about the black hardware. Much less gaudier than the gold. Good luck with the sale!
  17. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Price drop to 599.00 shipped.
  18. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

All PM's with offers responded to.
  19. Low Main

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

This bass has sold and is heading off to Florida, a bit north of Jeff Berlin country.

Thanks to all who expressed interest in this listing. And the thousands who viewed it.

Closing thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.