1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Original Precison Pickup Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HillBillyWannaB, Dec 22, 2012.

1. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

I'm installing a Fender original '62 precision pickup and I'm a little confused on where the black wire should go. The Fender diagrams say it goes from pickup to shield, then from shield to the volume pot ground. Can't I just run the black wire from the pup to the volume pot ground? Or do I have to solder it to and from the copper shielding?

Thanks, hope this makes sense.

2. LHbassist

LHbassist

It can indeed be soldered to ground, on the back of the pot. That's where the 'shield' wire goes anyway. The brass plate under Fender pickups from the factory, is not a shield at all. It is only a grounding plate. To be a true r.f. shield, it would have to completely encapsulate the pickups. Humbuckers with the metal covers, on a typical Gibson guitar exemplify this.
    P-basses are quiet, because the pickup is humbucking, as it is wired in series like a Gibson humbucker. Solder the black wire to any common ground, and the white to the correct end leg of the volume pot, and it will work fine. Plenty of wiring diagrams are easy to find online.

3. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

That's great, thanks. The wording just had me a little confused. Thanks for the clarification.

4. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

I have looked at many online wiring diagams, and I have found nothing explaining what to do with the wire that is attached to the grounding plates that come with the Fender Original Jazz pickups. I have not encountered this extra wire before. I am guessing that it may not be necessary to solder this wire since there is already one wire from each pickup that goes to a ground (back of pot), and since the bridge is already grounded. I am merely swapping out pickups. Anyone who can help, much appreciated. Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

With grounding schemes, it doesn't matter how you do it, as long as everything is grounded.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

The ground wire from the pickup gets soldered to the shield, and then the wire from the shield goes to the pot. That's how it was done in the 60's. Otherwise, the shield isn't doing anything.

8. bassman_al

So what does the shield do?

9. line6man

line6man

It doesn't do anything. It's just a failed attempt at shielding that no one has used for 50 years.

10. bassman_al

LOL thanks! That is what I was guessing. My bass has copper shielding so I'm good. Thanks for answering the question.