Original price for a Peavey USA-made Fury - 1996

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FJBass82, Mar 24, 2014.

1. FJBass82

FJBass82

About 2 weeks ago I bought a Peavey USA-made Fury off of Craigslist for $80.00. I was curious to know when my bass was manufactured so I e-mailed Peavey the serial number. They replied back that my bass was shipped February 28, 1996 and that its list price was $399.99.

That price is pretty impressive for 1996! That's a lot more than what I expected it to be. I figured that back in the day it sold for $150.00 or so. I realize that $399.99 is the list price but that it was cheaper in the stores.

Does anyone remember what the USA-made Furys were going for in the stores back in '96?
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Street prices then were pretty much the same as now. So a $400 MSRP would sell for around $280 if the retailer really wanted to move it.
  3. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

I bought one in 95 or 96. Paid $380.
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian

I bought a 96 Foundation S new for 400.00 in the case. Should give you an idea of where a Fury was priced at the time. If I remember they were around 100.00 cheaper.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

$250 to $300. Peavey, if memory serves, is an A-list item, meaning it's a 50% markup to list from cost so it's cost was $150. Someone will correct me, I'm sure.
  7. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Cost would have been 50% of MSRP. So, MSRP $399, cost $199.50.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

People still used the MSRP around my region until maybe 6-8 years ago. Remote regions still use the MSRP. I thought "street prices" only came into effect after internet retailers came and messed up the whole game. I am sure the change came quicker to America and much quicker to major metropolitan areas. MF probably does 10 times the sales it used to do over the phone.

My Fender dealer used to the same USD list price. When I bought my first Fender in 2004 the guy pulled out the Fender dealer binder, found what I wanted, and sold it to me for the American list price. I had asked what the Canadian price I was informed Fender did not have Canadian pricing like many products of the time (and some still today.)

My long winded point is that I would assume this bass sold for MSRP in the 90s.
  9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

???

Street prices have always existed, as far back as the '70s when I started buying gear... but I recognize that here in So Cal, there is fierce competition. In a town with one music store for 50 miles, things might be very different.