1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Original Solo Piece w/Looping

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Jan 21, 2014.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I've been doing a lot of solo work on electric bass lately but haven't really had the chance to delve too deeply into it with my double bass until recently. I had a basic melody and ostinato kicking around for a bit and I finally fleshed it out a bit tonight. Looping is tricky... doing too much can mud things up - too little is, well, too sparse.

I had wanted to experiment with this setup for a while: Condenser mic (MXL-440) and a signal from my Realist into a DTAR Solstice, blended, then sending that into a Boomerang Phrase-III looper. The end result could have obviously been done completely on a multitrack recording setup, but the idea was to be able to recreate the tune (and other tunes like it) live with the tools at hand. If you've never used a Boomerang, it opens up a world of possibilities for composition and live creation.

Anyway... I got snowed out of my Trio rehearsal tonight and finally recorded something with this whole deal. Some tuning issues here and there, but it was fun, and matched the 'snowscape' outside my apartment.

My bass is a 2003 Kohr K-64 hybrid, currently wearing D'Addario Zyex mediums.

Bryan White - The Drunken Snowflake