Ornette Coleman?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by MattStonewall, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

So I'm guessing this is a far cry request but does anyone know if there are any bass tabs for Ornette Coleman tunes. I'm wanting to learn more jazz theory and I'd like some great examples to look at. Ornette is my favorite jazz musician and I think all his bassists have been superb. Cheers.

2. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Ornette tunes are a little crazy to jumping straight into a think. He abandons the rules and to understand that on the level you want to first you have to learn the rules. I don't want to start a whole tab debate thing but you are never going to learn jazz from tab at all you have to learn how to read if you want to understand the theory side of things quicker since most explanations of theory are written using notation.

Learn what the bass player is playing from the record, it may take you a while but you'll learn more from that struggle. It gets easier the more you do and jazz is ultimately an aural tradition so that is the best you are going to learn it.

3. Mechanical

Mechanical

This times 100. I would get a Real Book and start with some standards first.

4. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

I know a good bit of music theory and have studied some jazz theory but most if it was guitar related as far as chords and such. I'm just more interested in seeing examples of the bass runs. Cheers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

All that 'guitar related' chords and stuff is actually the heart of jazz theory. You have to understand harmony to understand why the bass player is doing what he is doing. You may learn some cool sounding things but you'll never really be able to apply them until you understand how it links together. The bass player, the piano player, the sax player, the trumpet player, the guitar player and anyone else all have a solid understand of harmony. Even the drummer in these situations tends to have a good grasp of it as well. I would go back and really get to grips with that since it will help you so much in understanding this music on the level you said you want to do so. There is no bass theory or guitar theory, it is all music theory and it is all relevant. Again I'll stress that you really aren't going to get any understanding of this music from tab. It poses far too many limitations to really get to grips with this. If you don't believe me you should post your question on the double bass side and hear what others have to say about it.

Although, I would love to see what a complete transcription of the 'Free Jazz' album would look like in tab...It would probably end up looking like something from The Matrix but it would be completely useless.

7. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

@BrotherMister- Ok bud. I've been thinking about going back to my theory teacher for some lessons specifically on jazz bass. My last sessions with him were with lead guitar in the context of how to solo over chromatic riffs and such. Mostly nutty metal riffs my bud writes that we were working on for a recording project. Really helped me out. Cheers.

8. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Also; has anyone here watched the Alex Skolnick 3 dvd set on Jazz Guitar theory? I thought it was fairly informative and put together well.