1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Orville EB-3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockdude4492, Apr 10, 2014.

1. rockdude4492

rockdude4492

Anyone here have any experience with the Orville EB-3? I know the Orville's are pretty highly regarded, and I've always loved the look of the EB-3/SG Bass. Any info or shared experiences would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Orville would be equivalent to a Gibson since they are Gibson Japan.
    If you did a "head-to-head" of the Gibson vs the Orville, the Orville would be a better bass because quality control matters in Japan.
    If you get one, it is a BASS bass..... mids and highs will be way back unless you do mods and/or extreme EQ.

I've owned about 4 or 5 Orvilles(Thunderbirds). My Gibson T-Bird got sold after I got an Orville.

3. rockdude4492

rockdude4492

That is the impression I've had, and I assumed it would be on-par or better than a Gibson because of the QC, so that is good to hear. Have you ever played one? There is also Japanese Epiphones out there (Elite and Domestic), which I imagine would be on-par with the Orville, yes?

I am looking for something with more bottom end, as I've been playing a Jazz Bass, which is fine, but it seems thin-sounding to me and I've been looking for something with more bottom, which I believe the EB-3 will provide me. Plus I love what Jack Bruce and Glenn Cornick did with their Gibson EB-3's