Other Instrument Techniques Applied To Bass

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by _aflores_funk, Jan 25, 2013.

1. _aflores_funk

_aflores_funk

Hey Anthony,

I was wondering if you use any drum rudiments such as the paradiddle or ratamacues? I personally use the flam and the single ratamacue a lot when I play but I hadn't even heard heard Victor talking about the concept in one of his videos and was wondering if you could enlighten me with some ideas for rudiments and how they can be applied. I started using the flam and ratamacue when i heard someone play a quick slap groove and just tried to play it and that's how it came out, not sure though Since there are many ways to play a particular sequence of notes. Being a drummer as well I have played around with a few but wanted to know if you had any favorites or ones that suit your style of playing.

Thanks,
    Abdiel Flores
  2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

We both use drum concepts in our playing and teaching. If you missed that then you haven't really heard us. We talk about rudiments, paradiddles and flams all of the time.

But you've probably never had a lesson with either of us. The people who have studied with us know that we use that approach.

peace,
    Anthony
  3. _aflores_funk

_aflores_funk

Yeah, I've definitely heard it in your playing. That's why I had asked about it, just wanted to see it from your perspective. And no I have not had a lesson with either of you, however I did text the number on the bassology website about taking lessons from you. I live in the DC area and I had no idea your studio was so close. Hopefully I'll be able to take lessons with you and learn and grow as a musician.

Thanks,
    Abdiel
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Very cool. But I don't remember getting a text from you. I usually reply right away. If I didn't I musta' been crazy busy.

-aw
  5. Register to disable this ad