Other than CL?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gustobassman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets, D'addario, Planet Waves
    Not sure if this is the right forum, and this has probably been posted a million times, but are there other sites besides CL to look for gigs/bass work? I'm primarily interested in the SoCal area. :help:

Thanks and again, my bad if this has been a repeated topic.
  2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Backpage.com, basically the same as cl but in my neck of the woods draws a slightly less flaky crowd...
  3. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    Oh yea!! I forgot about that one.
  4. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

not sure if the states has it, but in Canada alot of people use kijiji.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Has anyone tried Bandmix.com?
  7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

I used Bandmix for a short time. Even in a musician-rich town like Nashville, virtually no one uses it. Why? You have to pay for a membership to reply to ads, and most musicians are broke... ;)
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Several other people have told me that they have had to pay on Bandmix. I have used it many times and never had to pay to reply to ads or messages from other musicians.

Harmony Central used to be a good place to go for ads.
  9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

The way around the Bandmix subscription is to put your contact info in your profile description...you have to break the email address format for it to work, i.e. "joebloe(at)hotmail(dot)com" instead of joebloe@hotmail.com.

Problem is not everyone knows this.
  10. guy n. cognito

I've done it before. Sometimes it works. Sometimes they catch it and delete the ad.
  11. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Bandmix has worked for me in the past. In the end I wound up not joining the bands that called me in, but I will say the flake factor was far less than you normally find on CL.
  12. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

I've gotten some emails from bandmix from bands asking me if I want to audition or tryout. I used the trick above to keep my email addy in the profile.

Also check meetup.com. When I first picked up the Bass I found a local jam band that played a bar twice a month. They were open, so you show up and if there are too many of X instrument, then you rotate in and out. The song suggestions are posted on meetup so that you knew what to work on before showing up. There were 3 other groups of musicians as well, although I didn't join those for a variety of reasons. Granted these were filled more with amateurs and novices than really good players, but I have met some stellar musicians and had some fun. It's better than playing alone and it allowed me to meet other musicians and locate open mics to meet more musicians.
  13. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    UPDATE: Well, i posted my "bassist available" ad on CL yesterday and 2 people replied. The Flaky Factor is still as of yet unknown, however. :p
  14. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

I don't know if there is a place that has a good flake filter. It would be good to find one that local people use regularly. There is a site ksl . com, but that it mainly utah, idaho, and wyoming. It's a news station website. Maybe one of your local news stations has classifieds too.

Plenty of flakes and stuff on there too though.
  15. gustobassman

Disclosures:
    UPDATE V.2 - I jammed with a guitar player tonight. It went REALLY GOOD! Not a flake by any means. He has a full set of solid originals, a pretty decent gig coming up in January (he seemed WAY interested in collaborating with me for future stuff), and is motivated. Great connections too.

Yes, a guitar player on CL is exactly what i stated above.

Did this just really happen?? :confused: :bag: :eyebrow:

Must....not.....jinx.....myself......
  16. guy n. cognito

I've hooked up with several quality musicians via CL. It can work if you know what to avoid.
  17. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

The problem is, there are a lot of these little sites that are "social networking for musicians" -- but few people know about them or use them. If only there were one site, like "facebook" level of popularity, for musicians. Craigslist seems to be the closest it gets, unfortunately...
  18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

You only have to pay to write to someone initially, so it's still useful to write to someone you may be interested in. Not so much if someone is interested in you.

I've found a few people through them but in the end CL has had more luck for me.