Other useful pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squawk, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

So I picked up my first pedal board today. And some new pedals.

Pedaltrain JR
    TC Hall of Fame Reverb
    TC Flashback Delay
    TC Corona Chorus
    Source Audio Programmable EQ

I really like the Toneprint. I'm thinking I need something else. Something for like Hard Rock/Classic Rock.
    Don't really know the difference between Overdrive, Fuzz or Distortion. Was thinking maybe a Flanger, Phaser or Vibrato pedal.

Any suggestions? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1396234406.316954.jpg
  2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I have 2 suggestions. Get a Source Audio OFD and an Orbital. Get the best of overdrive, fuzz and distortion in the OFD and get the best of flanger, phasor, chorus and vibrato in 2 pedals for a reasonable price. Have fun!!!
  3. Squawk

Squawk

I appreciate the recommendations. I just got rid of the dimension reverb. I find the Source Audio Pedals to be too complex for me. Plus I have a chorus pedal and I really like the Corona.
  4. Jutsushine

Jutsushine Gold Supporting Member

The TC Electronic Vortex Flanger and Shaker Vibrato are really fun, great sounding and well made pedals. Try them out if you're digging the toneprint stuff. As for fuzz, distortion and overdrive, what kind of sound are you trying to get? What tones from which bassists on what song do you like? Red Barchetta by Rush has light overdrive on the bass, Hysteria by Muse has a heavier fuzz, etc. Finding out what kind of gear your favorite artists own can give you some idea of what you want to get. I love the EHX Deluxe Bass Fuzz personally.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

In a nutshell - Usually, Overdrive has a little distortion and - Distortion has a little more distortion than Overdrive and - Fuzz is full throttle distortion.
  7. petermca17

petermca17

For overdrive, I use a Microtubes B3K from Darkglass, which I've set up to sound just like a big tube rig on full tilt. For fuzz I use the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe, which adds that fizzy and muffled distortion without losing deep bass. Sometimes I'll just have the B3K engaged, sometimes just the Fuzz or sometimes both together.

Hope you have fun building the board and experimenting with pedals.
  8. Jack

Jack

A di box or a proper bass-specific di box like a Sansamp, so you don't need to take the rig every time.

I like the MXR M80. And the Darkglass B7K, and the Countryman Type 85.............