1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Our first wedding fair!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Hey guys, just after some advice really!:help:

This weekend coming our band is about to do our first wedding fair. It is myself and the singer that is doing it and I am just after some tips and tricks to get people to book us.

Its a well established 4 star hotel (In Scotland) and we are going to be the only band there. I had planned to play some of our music in the background and offer a 'book now for 10% off'

I also though about offering different kinds of packages to the customer to look a bit more professional.

What do you guys think?

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I think the week of the fair is way too late to be planning this. You need to look at your competition and see what they are offering. In my area, wedding bands need to have a professional package that include pictures and a video, and not something their friends did on their iPhone and posted to Youtube. Check out your competition and see what you can put together. Wedding gigs are high dollar events and people want everything perfect. They are not likely to hire a band that just threw something together at the last minute.

3. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Not all weddings are high dollar events. Whatever demographic you're shooting for, you should have appropriate print materials and sound/video samples. If you're going for high-end weddings, you should absolutely have professional materials to hand out. If you're a "typical bar band" that is looking to play some weddings too (presumably at a lower than "A-level wedding band" fee), I think it's OK to have DIY materials, as long as they are put together with some thought and care. In addition to song lists, gear, gig dates (where they can check you out) etc., you might have a sample contract to show people that you'll have all of the bases covered for their wedding. Look professional at all times. Dress appropriately. Get rid of the stupid table in the booth if the venue provides one (or place it in the BACK of the booth) -- nothing worse than a couple schlubs sitting behind a table looking bored. If you can stand for a 4-hour gig, you can stand at a wedding fair. Absolutely no food in the booth.

I've worked a lot of tradeshows, and the biggest thing I've learned is don't wait for people to come to you. Know in advance who will be exhibiting and seek them out -- wedding planners, venues, even DJs (maybe they have customers that are interested in a DJ and a band?) Work the room and gather leads. Have a way to capture leads (brides-to-be) at your booth so you can follow up immediately after the show. Set up an account on ConstantContact, and figure out how to let your leads submit their contact info (bring a laptop to the fair) -- it's pretty easy. Take notes about the lead's specific questions and concerns so you'll be prepared when you follow up with them.

I'm not crazy about the 10% off stuff. It seems a little desperate and superficial. Depending on what kind of gear you have, maybe you can offer something like a free upgrade to your deluxe fancy-schmancy lighting rig, etc. Don't expect anybody to book at the show. Extend the offer to anyone who signs your registry. Save the cash discount in case you need it to close the deal later on.

Lastly, consider doing something out of the box. Have a guitar or two hanging around and use it for pictures. Make the bride-to-be a rockstar. Better yet, bring a freakin' drum kit too and snap pics of the bride-to-be on the throne. Post everything to Facebook. Make her remember you.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm a little confused - is your band an exhibitor at the fair? Will you be able to play or is it just handing out media packs?

+1. Trade fairs are ALL about working the room. If it's just two of you there, take turns manning the booth while the other goes around to everyone else's booths. Be friendly, ask them about what they do, pass out and collect business cards. You never know what contact might turn into a gig.

5. Register to disable this ad