Our lead singer dances like Elaine from 'Seinfeld'

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Leadfoot, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

We gig about 2-3 times a month. Our female lead singer has a great voice that helps separate us from the other cover bands.

During solos and long jams like La Grange, she stays on the stage, which is good, but dances, which is not good. No twerking or inappropriate gyrations. Instead, her moves are just distracting and exaggerated.

I've received many comments about this, so the time has come to discuss it. Luckily for us, she accepts input and is never defensive. I have no problem talking to her about this matter, but it is the approach I need help with.

I want to send a positive message, without embarrassing her or making it sound like a deep character insult. I understand that dance moves are very personal, like a haircut or wardrobe (both of which are great). I want to avoid saying the wrong thing and hurt her feelings.

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks a bunch.
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Honesty is the best policy as they say. There is always a tactful way of telling someone that they are doing something that doesn't really work. Be polite and sincere and she should get the message.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

video - start with watching a video of the band/her together
  4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

She's not going to suddenly become a 'good' dancer. Just let her do her thing...she's just grooving in her own special way.

Anyway, you may get a reputation as 'that band with the crazy dancing chick singer'.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

At least she's moving. If she's energetic and looks like she's having fun, Tituscrow may be correct that it could get your band a reputation for having a quirky front person. My band's lead diva stays in one place for most of the night because she thinks she's good enough to not have to expend any more effort than opening her mouth. The rest of that story is in the thread about diva singers.
  7. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

#1.get video cam
    #2.play earth, wind, & fire's "Shining Star"
    #3.post vid

that scene from Seinfeld is a classic !!!

8. Shovelbone

Shovelbone

Have you ever watched Joe Cocker?
  9. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

leave her be. It will work itself out
  10. Richland123

Richland123

Don't hand her a tambourine to replace the dancing if she has no rhythm. :rollno:
  11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

My band have had a new vocalist/frontman for the last 6 months and he dances around distractingly as well...but guess what? One of our guitarists has a Zoom video recorder and we've started to video all our gigs. Our frontman looked cool, the rest of us came across as having all the stage presence of dead halibut.

We've started to pull a few rock poses to try and inject a bit of life. Some of them look alright, some of them look less than stellar, but it's a hell of an improvement over staying static, and the more we do it the more natural it feels. And here's the thing, what felt like a grossly exaggerated move at the time comes across as very tame when we watch the playback...so how do you know that her exaggerated moves aren't just fine from the audiences viewpoint?
  12. Mechanical

Mechanical

This. Especially if she has pipes.
  13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

(Hey, Mechanical--I dig it that you quoted Hayek in your sig!)

OP, I had another thought, besides the good suggestion others have made to video the performance. Maybe you could just suggest that it would add some variety to your act if your singer walked off and left the stage to the instruments during the jams. And then make an entrance, when she comes back to the mic to sing.

I'm not being facetious about the suggestion. I really do think it can be good show biz to vary the band's look in the course of a show.
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm with leave it be. There isn't a flamesuit bulletproof enough for that one.
  15. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

LOL. True true... unless OP is like a real "Band Owner" with the authority and right to say something, to demand she change. Otherwise, yeah, let that dog lie...
  16. Rocker949

Rocker949

If she is really a good singer, I'd say it doesn't matter all that much. Good singers are hard to find. That would be enough for me.
  17. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Let her do her thing. Who's she hurting?
  18. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This is too simple. Simply put a video up on YouTube. Tell all of your friends about it. Let the singer chick read the comments. YouTube can be brutal..... so you don't have toooooooooooooo!

Edit to add: Of course, once word gets out that there's a good band in town with "the craziest dancing chick you ever saw" it will add to your draw. So, it may be a problem that doesn't need fixing. Who doesn't LOVE to watch crazy chicks dancing? I would pay EXTRA to see some Elaine moves on stage.
  19. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

This.

AND, who gives a **** about the people who approach you about it? They're too chicken**** to tell the singerbabe, so they backstab her while talking to you (making out like they're only mentioning it because it's in the best interest of the band...).

The hell with these people.

STAND UP for your singerbabe, instead of letting drunks badmouth her.

AND

LEARN THE SEINFELD THEME

And have the whole band play it whilst singerbabe gets her groove on. :hyper::hyper::hyper:
  20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Thank you very much for all the thoughtful responses. The majority opinion is to leave her alone and video a gig. I will give that a try. Thanks again.
  21. snarebear

snarebear

Video the gig and show it to her. Do not post it on you tube. The comments there might be too much for her and make her second guess every thing she does on stage and effect her confidence and her vocals may suffer. If you want to see some really bad dancing, go to a Dead/Further show. Ive seen people having seizures that have more of a groove.