Out of phase pickups and wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowend1, Mar 26, 2014.

1. lowend1

lowend1

I have a mongrel P-Bass with an added Gibson TB+ pickup at the bridge, and need to rebuild the control setup. It was set up as V/T/3pos Gibson LP-style switch - I would like to keep that config. When everything is hooked up like it's supposed to be, with both pups on, they are out of phase. I've already established that I will need to swap the leads on the P pickup around to get them back in phase, but I've kinda spaced on how the controls should be wired beyond that. I've been looking at diagrams but can't seem to find one that looks correct. Anybody?

2. line6man

line6man

3. lowend1

lowend1

4. line6man

line6man

It's under the "humbucker" dropdown.

Note that a VT3 configuration is not like a VVT configuration with a switch in place of the second volume. In a VT3 configuration, the wiper terminal of the volume pot is used as an output, rather than an input, to allow the best performance of the volume pot. This is something that cannot be done in a VVT configuration, because it would allow each volume pot to mute both pickups when rolled down. Also note, however, that either volume pot wiring can be used if there is both a pickup selector switch and two volumes, but that's not relevant here. Additionally, in a VT3 configuration, the tone control is placed parallel to the input of the volume pot, again, for the best performance of the control. This is something that cannot be done in a VVT configuration, because the pickup signals do not sum together until after the volume pots.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowend1

lowend1

Ah-ha - Thanks!