1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Outdoor LED flood bulbs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 3, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

OK so I am trying to invest a little in going "green". I am searching for outdoor LED flood bulbs. I need 6. And just like everything else online reviews do more to confuse the issue than help. So rather and a long story let's to straight to the questions.
    where can I get an OK deal on a case of 6 PAR38 bright flood bulbs for outdoor use? These will be put in regular two lamp flood fixtures under the overhang of my roof.

What kinds have you tried?
    What do/don't you like?

Thank you!
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Amazon.com is a great place when you know the ones you want. Check out your local Home Depot/Lowes for a good selection.

We bought the Philips ones at first, but then started using Cree brand. The Cree ones are just as bright and cost less while having a better warranty. The EcoSmart bulbs, I think this is a Home Depot brand, were not all that great in our opinion.

I'm only about three years into using LED bulbs, so I don't have any long term results to report. The Philip's bulbs look more expensive and they are, but I don't think they give off better light.

Tip.....check with your power company for any rebates for switching to LED bulbs.

-Mike
  3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Good LEDS are going to cost you, so if you intend to use them a lot they make sense for your household budget.
    A *good* Par38 replacement should be rated at 50,000 hours and produce at least 900 lumens, in outdoor service you probably wouldn't be as much concerned with color temperature or CRI but the better LEDS will be between 2700K - 3000K with a CRI of 83 or better.

This one is from Sylvania - but the product description misstates the lumen output which is 900.
    http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=348001

I'd also note that one has some optics on it's lens face to actually create a specific beamspread, if what you're looking at doesn't have this - it isn't going to push the light at all.
  4. two fingers

Cool. Anyone else? (Thanks guys)
  5. two fingers

I'm all about giving these things a try but $360 for 6 light bulbs just seems ridiculous.