1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Output differences

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Red Cell, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Red Cell

Red Cell

Long ago player getting back into bass but I have a question for the gurus out there.

The basses I own are:

Peavey Fury IV (newer model stock pickups and preamp)
    Warwick Rockbass Vampyre (MEC Pickups and preamp)
    Conklin GT4 (Bartolini pickups and preamp)

The issue I am having is that the Peavey is about twice as loud into the amp and processor as the other 2. I have to back off the volume quite a ways to get it to be even with the other basses. I popped the back of all 3 basses to look at the preamp modules and it appears that none of them have any sort of level adjustment. Anyone know why this would be such a difference?

These are the basses:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. line6man

line6man

See if there is an internal gain trim pot on the preamp that is set too high.

3. Red Cell

Red Cell

That is actually the first thing I looked for and no luck there. It's a sealed unit.

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Red Cell

Red Cell

Tried and no major difference. The Peavey is bottomed out as low as it will go and the other 2 are raised up where they should be and still the Peavey is a boomer. I am wondering if the preamp in the Peavey is just that hot.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Some preamps are hotter than others. The ones in my NYC Sadowskys are really hot.

8. Red Cell

Red Cell

That's kinda what I was thinking. I went through the Conklin last night and there was a loose wire but it didn't make a difference.

9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

You could just put a trimmer into the cavity and wire it like a volume pot. Then leave it at a suitable setting.