Outstanding Customer Service From Gallien Krueger (Post Hurricane Sandy Story)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Dec 17, 2012.

1. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

Hurricane Sandy has greatly taken a toll on many of us in the North East. It has destroyed homes, lives, and neighborhoods all together. To those directly involved, we have lost almost everything. Televisions, computers, couches, chairs, sports memorabilia, record collections, instruments... the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, some of us have also lost loved ones who will never be seen again. Each of us has our own story that we will remember forever. The struggle continues, but it is getting better each day.

About a month ago, I posted a thread in the amplifiers section in regards to my Gallien Krueger 700RBII head which felt the wrath of the storm surges courtesy of Hurricane Sandy. The Atlantic Ocean and Jamaica Bay came together (I live on a peninsula) and flooded our entire basement. Everything was lost, including one of my amps - my Gallien Krueger 700RBII head. The most obvious and important thing through all of this was that myself and my family survived and were okay.

When we first entered our basement, we noticed the water had receded and the flooding was no more. However, there was mud, sand, and debris everywhere. The GK 700RBII head was still ontop of the couch where it was left prior to our evacuation. Upon first noticing its position on the couch, it was clear that it was either underwater completely, or it had encountered water to some degree. I was very upset when I first saw this because I had received the amp not too long ago at the time of the storm.

After several weeks of cleaning up and reorganizing our lives, I decided to post a thread on TalkBass with pictures, analysis, and a description of what exactly happened. Everyone who posted offered extremely valuable information and they each gave their honest opinion on the situation. The question still remained... will this ever work again? I even sent an email to Mr. Gallien himself explaining my situation in the best of my ability.

A few days later my thread was published and discussed upon, I received an email from Gallien Krueger's Jason Finley, the Sales and Marketing Manager of the company. Mr. Gallien informed Jason of my situation himself! He immediately offered to take a look at the amp to see what can be done. I was shocked and utterly amazed that someone from such a prominent, large company such as Gallien Krueger, has taken the time out to help someone such as myself. He is a very busy guy! The following day, I boxed up the "Sandy-Battered" amp and sent it to Gallien Krueger in Stockton, California. (It took only two days!!)

Two days later, Jason sent me an email saying there was nothing that can be done to revive this amp at all. I was saddened but I understood completely. I have always lived near the Atlantic Ocean and am well aware just how lethal salt water can be to electronics.

HOWEVER-------

Jason then offered me a BRAND NEW 700RBII along with the warranty that usually comes standard with it for an amazing, amazing, amazing price. I was floored beyond belief. I did not know what to say and was at a total loss for words. Here is a guy (Jason) who has a high position in one of the most popular and successful bass guitar amplifier companies in the world giving me a deal and really "looking out for me." That is nothing but class and professionalism. I have never been treated like this when dealing over the internet or phone. I am usually treated as a "customer" or "dollar sign" with certain people over, but with Mr. Gallien and Jason, I feel like a REAL, VALUED, friend and customer. My family has even come together to offer to get me a new cabinet, and I OBVIOUSLY settled on a GK 410 Neo... :hyper:

I would just like to thank everyone at Gallien Krueger, Jason Finley, and Mr. Gallien for the professionalism, compassion, and most importantly, trust. I was by no means trying to dish out a sob story or complain about my luck in losing an amp. I am just so grateful about this whole experience and will continue to be a Gallien Krueger user for as long as I play bass. They have won me over completely.

If ANYONE is currently torn between an amplifier purchase.. PLEASE consider Gallien Krueger. Do not be alarmed, insecure, or hesitant in purchasing an amplifier or cabinet from them. I am obviously not affiliated with the company nor do I work for them, I am just a very happy and loyal customer! :bassist:
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I always had great luck with them when I used GK. About 10 years ago, I was getting ready to leave for a tour. The night before we were to leave, my 1001RB-II stopped working. I contacted GK and even though it was out of warranty, they contacted a Guitar Center and asked them to exchange my head for a new one.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That is a great story and I'm glad you and your family survived the storm. I wish more companies would focus more on the after the sale part of their business I think it would increase their bottom line.
  4. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

Thanks for the kind words mjac28. I agree. It sure does speak volume!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Wow, that's a great thing that happened for you
    That GK; what a stand up company
  7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

That's really great of GK, and it says a lot about the company. Sadly, I can imagine someone posting a complaint thread in response to the same action you are so grateful for. They would be angry that they had to pay anything at all, and they'd claim terrible customer service. Either way, your story is great.
  8. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

I can actually see that too. However, I believe that given the nature of my experience, ( a rare, completely devastating hurricane) I can post this without any remorse or guilt later on down the road. It is not everyday a company reaches out to a hurricane victim/survivor! There will almost always be someone with an amplifier or cabinet or bass that needs a repair.
  9. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

I've traded pm's with Bob Gallien a couple times. He does follow posts here on TB and is one of the most humble, talented electronic engineers/CEO's you will ever meet. I read your original post and had this feeling that Bob and the good people at GK would take care of you.
    Glad to know that they came through for you. Congrats to you and Kudos to GK.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I had so hoped the old girl could be brought back :(

If anyone has any doubt why I use G-K equipment and why I sing the praises of G-K. Point them to this thread.
    Robert A Gallien and Jason Findley, Merry Christmas to you and thank you for proving again my faith in G-K is founded in the most sincere way. :)
  11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I don't believe that for a minute. Nobody whose equipment was water damaged by a hurricane would expect the manufacturer to replace it free. Even someone who hoped that might happen would be too embarrassed to actually say so publicly.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by the service. Bob's name is on the badges. I imagine that makes a man care a little bit more about what the company does than if he was just some fly-by-night hired gun MBA angling to make his first million.
  12. BassSurfer

BassSurfer

Thank you sir! Bob exemplifies the most IDEAL skill-set of business ethics, as does Jason! I have read nothing but positive things about Brian as well on here too :bassist:

B-string, was waiting for you to chime in! :D Like I said before, I now feel even more committed and loyal to this company than ever before. Merry Christmas to you too

PS: The old amp that is beyond repair is coming back to me and will be used as a "conversation" piece as well as a "decoration!" :bassist:
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That is a great story! Good on Bob and Jason.
  14. B-string

That is awesome! A very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! While maybe a different Christmas, a much richer one for what you still have? If you have family and friends, what greater gift is there. :)
  15. murphy

murphy

hmmmm....i have just played a gig with an 800rb into a mesa 410.....and rehearse with an 800rb into a svt 810.....and loving the tones
    I have owned one of these in the past and never got the sound I like......but now
    After hearing this story....my next amp i think will be another GK ..1001rb or 700rb
  16. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

This story just makes me happy that play on GK gear.
  17. xroads

xroads

Hats off to GK for their customer service.
  18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Great story! It's good to hear that you were taken care of and that GK really stepped up on this. Kuddos to them.
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

+1...

- georgestrings
  20. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Drum Sales - Guitar Center
    Marketing works... thanks to their selfless action, a forum full of people will be advertised to in the best way possible... surely they'll see a sale or two extra, not including the cab OP purchased afterwards...

Not to say that this isn't EXCELLENT customer service. They went above and beyond what 99% of companies would do for a consumer. But it is a business, after all, and their strategy worked.
  21. B-string

Bob is an excellent engineer, darn good business man and darn good person to boot. Marketing is not his strong point. Marketing was furthest from his mind, be sure of that.