1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

OVation magnum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thedeadking, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Thedeadking

Thedeadking Supporting Member

What do they sound like? Ive been thinking about getting one to mess around with as a good backup maybe. Are they good for slap and funky styles?
  2. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

im not entirely sure abuot what youre talking about here..but i have seen "magnum" basses which are musicman and precision bass copies..this what ya talking about
  3. Marlat

Marlat Gold Supporting Member

No

[​IMG]
  4. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

that looks nice...bet it would sound interesting
  5. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

IMO, the Ovation Magnum isn't the right bass for slap or funk. I had one for a while. It's got a big, bassy sound, mostly thanks to that big pickup right by the end of the fretboard. I had it strung with flatwounds. It's a fun bass to play, but not a slapper.
  6. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

I second what Dave has to say.

I used to own an Ovation Magnum back in the late 70s.(Check my profile)

This bass has a very deep tone similar to a Gibson EB-O, but the sound was much cleaner than the Gibson. It also had a pickup near the bridge than had U shaped pole pieces to sense string vibrations longer, or so they used to say in their ads back then. The bridge pup was extremely clean sounding, and had a piano-like tone to it.

Overall, it was a very nice sounding bass, but I'd say it was better suited to finger-style than slap.

My bass' serial number was 00488, so if anyone comes across this instrument, she used to be my girl. :(

Mike
  7. FCM3

FCM3 Supporting Member

I still have an Ovation Magnum III. the one w/ the 3 band Slider-based Eq. Bass weighs a ton. The bass sounds like a mix of a gibson EBO and 70 P bass more or less. Bassy, boomy, w/ some clarity. The bass has alot of cool features for its time, like carbon fiber reinforced neck, and those neat U-shaped pickup poles and that adjustable front pickup. Great for filling up the bottom end of a rock-n-roll band But a slapping machine -not really.
  8. Rod B.

Rod B.

I echo the posts already made on sound. One thing too is that every one I've ever held weighs a ton.
  9. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

i read somewhere just before that the neck pup is a 4coil :eek: ...personally i think it looks cool..i like the look of the ovation acoustic basses as well
  10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

I have one of these but its at my practice space, its got a really fat tone that you can feel. sometimes it overpowers the guitars if I set it right.
  11. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

I currently own one, had it since the early 80's and love it! It has a sound not unlike an early J Bass. Absolutely built like a tank! They are getting pretty rare, though. You might check Ebay...every now and agin one pops up....
  12. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

I still have the original owner's manual that came with mine. ;)

Mike
  13. bmc

bmc

I caught a bass player using one last Friday night in a band in Hong Kong. It didn't sound bad at all. I was expecting it to sound muffled. I hadn't seen one since the 70's.
  14. mgod

mgod

I bought #00500 a few years ago off ebay, came with manuals and everything, mint for about $500. I think its an astonishing aggresive bass. I guess you could say its heavy, but not compared to my Alembic or my 69 Les Paul Bass. Mine is a II I think, active with the 3 tone sliders.

Built like a tank, and yes, slapping is easy on it, if you care for that sort of thing. I like it with a pick. Nasty.

DS
  15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor

correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there another version of this bass, with a more unique body design, and some rails going from neck to bridge that you could use as a thumbrest? And did'nt Ross Valory of Journey play one?
  16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor

ahh, I just checked another site and found that the earlier ovations, 1 and 2, had a different body shape...this one we are looking at is a ovation magnum 3 or 4..wierd, because the earlier versions had the rails, and looked actually more modern!
  17. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

And let's not forget the built in mute lever. :bassist:

There was a lever just in front of the bridge that, when engaged raised four mute posts that touched the strings to try to give the sound an upright-like quick decay. It did sound pretty good, but whenever I used it, it raised the intonation about a quarter tone, so I just didn't use it that much.

Another good idea that went nowhere.

Mike
  18. dgce

dgce

I hear the Magnum makes a pretty good reggae/dub bass. I know ex-PIL side man Jah Wobble uses one. I wouldn't make it my primary axe but I think it'd be good fun as a backup.

r
  19. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

You know, I used mine a lot in the 80's then I made the mistake of loaning it to a "friend"...he up and moves away to Paris and I never see it again...Bummer! A couple of years ago what do you think turns up on Ebay? You got it! There she was! I immediately bought it ($450.00) and it's been with me since. From time to time I get out my Rickenbacker, Jazz, Daions and the Ovation. It's amazing that the Magnum can keep up with the best of 'em.....Personally, I think Ovation screwed up when they discontinued them in the early 80's....they don't build 'em like that anymore!
  20. insanebassman

insanebassman

Anyone know where to find parts for one? I have the 3 band eq one, and it took a bad hit before i owned it. The pick guard and the circuit board cracked off where the 1/4" jack is. I was able to McGuyver the board and make it function for awhile but now, until I can restore it, I leave it alone. (Play my T40 or Stingray instead)

I would love to get this old beast back up and working. I have a laser etching guy who can reproduce the guard but the circuit board is beyond me,