Overall sound of build??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

How could the tone of this build balance out: Neck-through design, mahogany body/neck, snakewood fretboard, ebony neck laminates. Pale moon ebony top, approximately 1/4 of total thickness. Single coil ( alnico, jazz style) pickups, with neck pickup about 1 inch closer to neck than traditional. Bridge pickup somewhere between 60s and 70s positions.
    Pickups wired in series but out of phase.
    Kind of vague I know, but this is my newest idea for a build and I want to know if you all think it would have a thick, warm, but still bright tone.

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Have you ever heard what the pickups sound like out of phase on a bass? I had a phase reversal switch on my old Pedulla, and it was maybe academically interesting, but functionally useless. Basses are generally not supposed to sound thin and hollow with no bottom.

3. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Yes. I think it sounds great in certain situations- provided that the bass has tons of lows to being with ;).
    I think what you're thinking of is out of phase and PARALLEL, which does sound very harsh and thin.
    Out of phase and series, though, sounds airy and compressed, a very unusual and interesting quality IMO.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Yesterday I tried wiring a bass with the pickups wired out of phase...waste of time for me, it sounded awful so I wired them back in phase.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad