1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Overdrive/Distortion for soloing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Dec 6, 2013.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I am looking for the right overdrive/distortion for soloing. I am in a band doing original indie rock, r&b, garage rock, blues, etc. I have been getting some soloing opportunities lately and I think that the right overdrive would do the trick. I am looking for something creamy, smooth, long sustain, and excellent dynamics response. It will need to be warm. A little bottom end loss is not such a big deal. I little compressed is ok. I like the tube-screamer sound somewhat, but find that many are very compressed sounding. Would an OCD type work for me? Rat? What do you guys think?
  2. 01FromFinland

01FromFinland

Black russian muff? If i understood correctly the things you are looking for, that would do the trick, i think.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I have W&C TFR. Great pedal. It is soft around the edges. I am looking for something a little brighter and more sharply edged.
  4. 01FromFinland

01FromFinland

Hmm. Have you tried Rat with muff? But then you would need LS-2 or something like that. If that isn't a problem, i would give it a try. Rat gives you the high end and aggressiveness while the muff smooths the thing, giving you a result that at least I like.
  5. liveburning274

liveburning274

I love my modded Boss ODB-3. At medium to high gain it really does some good soaring solo type things while being smooth because of the mods. I can't recommend this pedal highly enough with the mods. A great $60 to spend!
  6. Woodsbass

Woodsbass

You should check out The Demon from Fuzzrocious. I got one a little while ago and haven't had GAS since...except for their Rat Tail! I got mine with a second distortion setting, so if I need even more oumph I've got it. Sweet pedal.
  7. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I don't solo, but I have messed around with the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive on its "Modern" setting with the gain at about 10:00. Seems pretty smooth and articulate, though I wouldn't call it fuzzy. The "Classic" setting is more of an overdrive. Worth a shot, and I got mine for about $50 used.
  8. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

If you already have a W&C pedal and know how great they are, then I suggest you look at a W&C Phat Phuk B. You'll probably get the brighter grind you are looking for from that pedal, especially if you start to tweak the bias control to get exactly the tone you want from it.