Overpowering my 4X10 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DooglieBop, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DooglieBop

DooglieBop

Hello my fellow bass enthusiast I have a question and I'm new to the forum. My question is this I play a peavey Pro bass 500 head through a carvin 10 RL 8 ohm cabinet. Before running my line into my head I run that line directly from my bass to my BBE optical compressor into my sans amp DI. It seems whenever I play at loud volumes my speakers sounds like they are bottoming out. I'm playing with the Lakeland 5501 and I realize this is a pretty high powered bass guitar but even with my equalizer set flat and my volume on my amp turn only about halfway I still get this bottoming out sound coming from my cab. I'm not sure what the problem is so any input would help do I need more speakers or do I just need a different amp head head or just need to tweet the controls. Any info would help as I know there are a lot of seasoned veterans on the talk Bass forum. I'm looking into buying a single 12 inch extension cab ot maybe a 2x10 cab. Like I said any info or input would help greatly thank you.

2. Danny Morris

Danny Morris Berklee Bass Department

Hey DooglieBop,
    welcome to the Forum, and certainly sound issues are a major concern as we are all identified by our sound/timbre..so here goes my 2 cents at addressing your concern..How bout bypassing all external gear, and simply plugging directly into your Peavey Head from your bass for starters..Now, turn up master gain to max volume...next, turn up pre-amp volume to say 10 o'clock..listen now and see if your sound is clean? this will maximize the power amp portion of the Peavey, and not overdrive it...best, and happy new year,
    D Mo

3. DooglieBop

DooglieBop

Sorry for the delayed response danny. I finally got around to testing the gain and everything sounds good and clean. I actually got to mess around with my pedal arrangements and found one that helps out tremendously. Instead of going into my compressor followed by my sansamp, i reversed it so i go through my sansamp first, then my compressor. Thank you for your help and all your information. You were very helpful! I believe my next purchase will be a 2x10 extension cab. Maybe genz benz, david eden or something kinda mid-high quality range. I want a front ported 8ohm cabinet. Do you have Any personal preferences you would wanna suggest?

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A 2x10 gives very little extra to a 4x10 on average.

By the point your 2x10 is maxed out the 4x10 is only halfway there. You could get a 16ohm 2x10, to even out the power applied, but the stack is only fractionally louder than the 4x10 by itself.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

If your 4x10 is 8 ohm, get another. You'll be running at 4 ohm and it should be plenty loud

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed. Adding an 8 ohm 210 to an 8 ohm 410 is a total waste of time, effort, and money. If you like the sound of your 410, get another identical one. You have to consider the whole package, and how much power is divided among ALL the individual spkrs. In the 210/410 scenario, the spkrs in the 210 receive DOUBLE the power as the spkrs in the larger cab. Unbalanced, and useless. Read the faq's and stickies to learn how all this stuff really works.