1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Overwater J vs fender P vs ibanez sr800 vs cort a4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aris17561, Apr 1, 2014.

1. aris17561

aris17561

Feb 25, 2014
    Hello , I am between those 4 basses and I wanted some help . I need a good bass to spend 3 -4 years with it . I mostly play metal and I need the most quality bass I can buy in this price range . I have seen those 4 . There are used but I cannot judge which is better . So

Sr800 is a previous model and it is japan . It is the ugliest I have ever seen but it is japan . Overwater is nice in appearance but I don't know this company at all( sorry for that ) . Fender is the Mexico one , and cort is cort .you should consider and another suggestions like the new sr700 or a premium ibanez if you believe is way better . I request for your help . Thank you !!!

2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Bristow, VA
    Overwater is generally top shelf stuff. Made in Britain.

Scott Devine plays one and they make a SD Signature model. Check out http://www.scottsbasslessons.com to see videos of Scott playing his Overwater J.

An Overwater J for the price of a MIM Fender P sounds like a serious bargain, to me.

http://overwaterbasses.com/

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. aris17561

aris17561

Feb 25, 2014
    Unfortunattly this overwtaer is a korean. I am not sure for that. I think the parts are from korea and the quality control and the fitting is made in uk ? Something like that...
    http://smart.noiz.gr/details.php?id=175001

5. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Bristow, VA
    Interesting. I see that it is made by Tanglewood for Overwater. But Tanglewood is also a U.K. company. I don't see where it says where the Contemporary model is actually made. Nevertheless, it is a "licensed-by-Overwater" bass, versus a made by Overwater bass.

In that case, it would be a tossup between the Overwater and the P bass. I like the P bass sound better than the J sound. I think the P would sound great for use in a metal band (with the right strings). But, in the end, my decision would really be based on how they feel. If the P has a typical P bass nut (1 5/8" - 1 3/4"), and the J has a typical J nut (1 1/2"), I would go with the J just based on that.

6. grayn

grayn

Mar 6, 2011
    The far east made Overwaters are good value but a little heavy.
    The Cort A4 is an excellent bass, with thru neck, active Bartolini pickups and a quality that out does it's low price.

I'd chose the A4 every time.

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
  8. aris17561

aris17561

Feb 25, 2014
    So to conclude a little bit , the Fender is the best option ? About those option , which you think its easier to sell if i want in the future ?