1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

overwhelmed with the new rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jazzboxuz, Mar 29, 2014.

1. jazzboxuz

jazzboxuz

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right forum for such a question, but here we go... so I recently ditched my old rig (a hartke 3500 into a hartke vx410) for a preamp+poweramp setup. I may have gotten too excited and bitten off more than I can chew, because I can't seem to get the right sound out of the new rig. the new setup is...

Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 string w/ DR Legend SS Flatwounds-> 3leaf Wonderlove (w/ empress comp in fx loop) -> Raven Labs USIP -> QSC GX7 run stereo -> 4ohm hartke vx410 and 4ohm eden 410xlt.

from the output of the wonderlove I use a TS cable, but I replaced one connector with a TRS that has the Tip and Ring shorted- this goes to the stereo TRS input of the USIP, giving me separate gain and eq controls for each side of the GX7, and each respective cabinet. I mainly did this because I thought it would make me cool :cool: but is it a good idea? I'm afraid I am a bit of an audio noob with access to a soldering iron :meh:

I also had the thought that perhaps I am just used to the sound of the Hartke amp- I almost exclusively used the tube preamp. would using something like the Steel Guitar Black Box get me closer to the sound I am used to? Am I dissatisfied because I am hearing what my bass actually sounds like, because my new rig doesn't color the tone as much? could my cabinets be the problem? any thoughts or advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated... I am going for a natural, strong acoustic-y sound, to be used in an improvised rock/funk setting (think Grateful Dead, Phish, etc.) I just feel like my tone has been very harsh sounding since the switch to the new rig.

I fear that I am displaying the symptoms of what is commonly referred to as G.A.S. in this forum... am I missing something? or did i just buy too much stuff? :help: any pointers are welcomed and any advice is appreciated. thanks!

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Raven usip is a preamp?

I have a hunch it may have something to do with totally changing your setup. ;)

Try using only the old cab. Get that sounding good, or describe what's wrong. 2nd cab is too many variables.

3. jazzboxuz

jazzboxuz

yeah, it's a preamp made by Steven W. Rabe (founder of SWR)

lol perhaps you are right, but I had some issues with the sound of the old cabinet. I have been trying to EQ the two cabs separately, and i sometimes turn the gain down all the way on the eden 410 xlt channel to hear the old cab alone, and try to notch slightly at problem frequencies... i kind of feel like i dig the warmth of the paper cones in the hartke cab but i feel like it lacks enough clarity to hear the full sweep of my envelope filter. looking for more opinions on cabinet choice, i am not opposed to getting rid of these cabs and trying something different...

another thought, would replacing the preamp in my bass help some? i know lots of people like the peavey millenium preamp as a replacement for the BXP Cirrus basses...

4. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

I'm curious as to why you got rid of the Hartke amp and why you are using two different 410s.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Start with:

Bass>>>pre>>>pwr>>>1 cab.

Eliminate all other variables until you get familiar with your new pre. Switch cabs, do the same. This will also tell you HOW different each cab is and what voices each cab has (good or not-so-much).
    IF a cab proves itself "better" than the other, ditch the dud for a second of the one you like. It may be a wash, the cabs work well together, and there's just a preamp tweeking issue needed.
    The fewer pieces you have in the chain, the easier it will be to get a good idea what you can do with the new stuff.