1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

owner of basses with "Delano Hybrid" pickups (J/MM): what is the real deal!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fasto, Feb 13, 2014.

1. fasto

fasto

I´m in the process of choosing good pickups for my custom bass and i was considering the Delano Hybrid system with Sonar 2 preamp.

Delano says: "An uncompromising pickup series that combines in one single construction the two most legendary sounds in bass history!"
    (with "legendary sounds" they mean Jazz Bass & Musicman) Link

Does this pickup combination REALLY sound like a Jazz AND/OR Musicman ... or is it just a bad compromise and marketing bla bla bla?

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

Unlike Cort or more expensive Lakland, as I used to own a Clover Apeiròn HJ5

The two sounds were not only discriminatin': they were two completely different souls inside the same (quality) body

I strangely did the opposite than normal: I recorded with the active mode and full neck + humbucker pickups on (they were powerful and dead quiet at the very same time) and played live in passive mode with just the external bridge coil to pair the neck pickup, with the attack and roar of a 5er Jazz bass!

Astonishin'!

I sold that bass (a beautifully crafted instrument with zero fret
    and superflat neck) because of its bridge

Lookin' solid and stable like my favorite G&L one, it featured poor screw filings and quickly lost the precision it pretended to show in taylorizin' setups and intonation

Not your problem, given that you just aim to adopt electronics
    and pickups for a project bass.

Cheers,
    Wallace