Owning mutiple basses drives me nuts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I own 4 basses, which may be 3 too many. I never get any real serious practice time in, I always try to decide which bass I like best. I usually bounce back and forth between my Mustang and MusicMaster, only occasionally play my Precision.

3 days ago I would have sworn that I would keep the Mustang forever and ever; but I got a bit tired of the muddy, muffled sound of the open E. So I picked up the MusicMaster, and I'm loving it as much as I ever did.

I often think that any of my basses will sound the same to the average Joe in the audience, and I should sell all but one, only I know I'll regret it later. I guess what it comes down to is my minimalist nature has a desire for my one and only bass. Can anyone relate?
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I own probably 8 or 10 basses. I have most of them in cases. My Ric is my main player and often it is the only one I pull out on a gig. I will pull out the Traben for some songs though, if I feel like it ( It is always on the stand at a gig, just in case).

If I were you, I would hide the other basses and play your favorite exclusively for awhile. Then put it away and play the next one exclusively for awhile. Etcetera.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I play boring Fender Precisions. A 4 & a 5'er. American made. They sound great. Trying to bond with a borrowed Bongo.

Not much luck there yet.

Boring Fenders rule.
  4. Beano_z

Beano_z

The way I see it, if you keep pondering at it, you'll never settle down on one bass. I've got two ways to sure it:

1) Get another occupation which takes your attention away a little from these so you're not continuously pondering which one is *best*, like you said the average Joe will not notice any difference (most will not even know what you do in the band because they *can't hear* you).

2) Sell all 4 and buy one which is well over your budget, this will help stop you from thinking about another bass because you simply will not be able to afford any in the near future.

These tricks work for me all the time. If I start pondering deeply, then I know it's time to take a break and back off, until I come to my senses, it's a bit like having a crush on a girl, once you get out of it you realize she's actually not THAT desirable after all ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

You did not even mention what your 4th bass was so I would sell it and then wait awhile to see how you feel about the remaining 3.
  7. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Bongos look like toilet seats. Sorry if that offends you, but that's my opinion.
  8. topo morto

topo morto

Yep, I get totally stressed by things sat looking at me that I'm not using.

Some people are going to have needs that can't be met by one bass - so the question is, are you one of those, or have you just not met 'the one' yet?
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

LOL! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who shares that sentiment!
  10. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Ah, the paradox of choice. Yes I can relate.

When I was a kid in the 70s, I had one bass. I couldn't afford another one. But I didn't want another one, and there were only really two you could get..Precision, or Jazz.

I have alot more money now, and alot more basses, and not happy with any of them the way I was with "the one". (It was stolen).

That's the way it goes I guess. While you'll get a million people saying you 'need' more than one bass, that's just not true, "they" need more than one. Pretty much every GREAT bassist made their mark on music history on ONE kind of instrument, regardless of it's quirks.

Being married to one bass or one person for that matter is hard work,..the commitment is worth it, or not!

Yeah I can relate. I don't think there's a good answer, damned if I could find one.
  11. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

I have 5 precisions and I'm building two more. One Jazz and one Classic Stingray.

Surprisingly enough, they're all different enough for me to be in "moods" for them. I'm always trying to get more basses too. If you wanna get rid of that P...
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I have 2 that I enjoy playing. A 1976 Gibson Grabber and a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar. They sound similar enough that I can back one up with the other.
  13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have fourteen having sold at least four others this year and the one I grab the most is my Line 6 Variax 700 which is twenty-four basses in one and all i do is turn a knob for a new bass sound love this thing.
  14. chiron_griffin

chiron_griffin

I've been playing just a year and I've got three, which I know seems a bit overboard. Though my go to bass is my VM Jazz. I picked up a $40 Jay Turser Scarabe off CL to learn repair, maintenance, and modding on so I wouldn't mess up my VM. The third and newest is my Washburn AB10, I picked her up for a pretty decent price last week. the Wash is really growing on me, I've only touched my VM for tone comparison during a jam session. I'm sure once I get some decent strings on the Washburn it will turn into my main player. I'll probably never sell the VM as it holds a special place in my heart as my first bass, and has gotten many compliments from my friends who have been playing 10+ years, saying that it has great action, good tone, and plays like butter (which may be because they had never played on flats before.)I don't think I could give the Scarabe away.
  15. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I have 4 basses also, but all perform different functions (or at least do the same function differently), so I have justified keeping them.

I do play them all, but it's really just 2 that get the most play time lately. However, in the past, it was a different 2 of the 4 that saw the most time.
    Things change.

wraub
  16. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Sell 3 , buy a pile of records. Shed.

/thread.

This

:)
  17. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

:D

I have eight... 3 FL and 5 fretted.
    I like having different basses for different reasons... moods, gig's recordings... I love classic Fenders but also love that there are other classic bass tones, like Alembics, Gibsons and Stingrays etc etc... my custom warwick thumb copy has a sound all of it's own that I also really dig...

:cool:
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    They sound amazing though and super versatile.
  19. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Wait until you get GAS!!
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I used to have 20, now I have 8 and I am going down to 4-5 real giggable basses.

My Fodera is getting much of my love these days, but my MTD is right up there. Beyond them, I always have Fenders to play as I just love P & J basses. I am keeping my '70s P & J and I have a new active American Deluxe Jazz 5er on the way. If I can't cover everything with these 5, I need to pick up a different hobby.
  21. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

I'm on my way from five to two. Three at the most. May keep the fiver just in case I decide that I really do need another string. Mostly it just encourages me to play "cheater technique" - everything above the fifth fret.