1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P.A support?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Hi I am just looking for some advice and opinions on the subject of P.A support. :help:

I am in a wedding/function band which has our own PA system (2x Mackie 12" mains and 2 x Mackie 18" subs, Mackie desk and rack compression and EQ)

Last night we did I wedding in a small'ish village hall (around 100 people) and I put everything through the P.A, bass, kick, guitar, vocals and keys/synth... :eek:

I have always been a firm believer that its not for volume sake but for overall balance and ommmppp (with the subs)

I feel that the kick drum and bass guitar should always be in the P.A again just for the balance and OOMMPP. :D

I dont think I can bring myself to not use our subs :bag:

Overall it sounded pretty good and everyone said they had a great time. (With a few compliments to the band ;) )

But....is it necessary for us to use all that gear?

I am still new to the world of sound engineering and I find it hard to do the sound and be the bassist at the same time, so I am just after some advice and opinions.

Many thanks! :hyper:
  2. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Necessary? No. You have the stuff though so why not use it.
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

I've done plenty of those small weddings with backline filled out only by a pair of 12" active tops. Even if you do need more low-end power, you probably don't need more than one sub for a hundred-guest wedding gig.

Why carry more subs than you need for the gig?
  4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

In case one goes.(most likely speaker to blow during a show.)
  5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Carry your subs, use IEMs and leave your bass cabinet/amp at home.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

That's the way I do it....almost to a "T". The kick drum is the first thing to get lost if not mic'd. I use both 18" subs 'cuz they ride around in the trailer and it's no great hardship to drag 'em into the venue. Overkill in some instances? Sure, but I located the volume control years ago.

Riis
  7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

It's not always perfect. The club I regularly gig at has a compact PA sub the type with small drivers that when driven sound crap, typical of home cinema boom subs for car chase explosions. It interferes with my bass rig. I can't hear my notes for the 100hZ boom coming out of those artificial 'subs'.