1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-bass build: Fralin v. Lawrence/Wilde?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chuck King, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

I'm building a P-bass and I've got a line on a couple pickups I could get for it. I'm wondering if people who may have experience with both could comment on what sort of differences one would expect between Fralin P-bass pickups and Bill Lawrence Wilde P-46 pickups?
  2. markanini

markanini

Fralrence
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the P-46 I'm afraid. It sounds odd to me. The current Fralins are A2 and I wasn't thrilled either, it lacks steam in lack of a better word (I normally prefer A2 to A5 so I don't think it's that). My favorites for even, growly sound and some punch are the SPB-1 and the Lollar. I haven't tested all P pickups yet, though.

This is very taste dependent, obviously. I just don't like holes in the sound, I want an even sound, and I want something to happen when I play harder. Fralin obviously caters to people with a -say- fine taste. Well screw that I'd say :)
  4. eots

eots

Though I haven't used either pickup specifically, I had good experience with L.F. rewinding a '65 mustang bass pickup that was totally destroyed and sounded great when I got it back.
    I ordered some tele pups from B.L. and they got to me in about 6 weeks. They only ship once a month fwiw.
    They don't like responding to email but did answer the phone when I called after 4 weeks and they hadn't even processed my order.
  5. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I had a Fralin, I liked it enough but not enough to keep it compared to fenders Seymour Duncan vintage etc. I currently have a SPB-4 Steve Harris signature pickup in my bass. I like the SPB4 a lot, it seems very balanced & represents what I like most about Precision pickups. I also liked the G&L precision pickup I had for awhile, although it was hotter output & not your typical classic p bass tone. If I wasn't such a fan of Steve Harris I would have tried the Bill Lawrence pickup next. BTW the SPB4 doesn't make you sound like Steve Harris its just a really nice Precision pickup, I would definitely recommend it for any style music.