P-bass build: Fralin v. Lawrence/Wilde?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chuck King, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

I'm building a P-bass and I've got a line on a couple pickups I could get for it. I'm wondering if people who may have experience with both could comment on what sort of differences one would expect between Fralin P-bass pickups and Bill Lawrence Wilde P-46 pickups?
  2. markanini

markanini

Fralrence
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the P-46 I'm afraid. It sounds odd to me. The current Fralins are A2 and I wasn't thrilled either, it lacks steam in lack of a better word (I normally prefer A2 to A5 so I don't think it's that). My favorites for even, growly sound and some punch are the SPB-1 and the Lollar. I haven't tested all P pickups yet, though.

This is very taste dependent, obviously. I just don't like holes in the sound, I want an even sound, and I want something to happen when I play harder. Fralin obviously caters to people with a -say- fine taste. Well screw that I'd say :)
  4. eots

eots

Though I haven't used either pickup specifically, I had good experience with L.F. rewinding a '65 mustang bass pickup that was totally destroyed and sounded great when I got it back.
    I ordered some tele pups from B.L. and they got to me in about 6 weeks. They only ship once a month fwiw.
    They don't like responding to email but did answer the phone when I called after 4 weeks and they hadn't even processed my order.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I had a Fralin, I liked it enough but not enough to keep it compared to fenders Seymour Duncan vintage etc. I currently have a SPB-4 Steve Harris signature pickup in my bass. I like the SPB4 a lot, it seems very balanced & represents what I like most about Precision pickups. I also liked the G&L precision pickup I had for awhile, although it was hotter output & not your typical classic p bass tone. If I wasn't such a fan of Steve Harris I would have tried the Bill Lawrence pickup next. BTW the SPB4 doesn't make you sound like Steve Harris its just a really nice Precision pickup, I would definitely recommend it for any style music.