P bass case for a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ChaseMorris15, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ChaseMorris15

ChaseMorris15

Will it work?
  2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

In the 60s and 70s, Fender used one case for both the P and the J; when using it for a P, you had a bit of extra room at the headstock. But nowadays, there are separate cases for the two. So if you are looking for a vintage case, they both fit, but since the J is about an inch or so longer than a P, you can't put a J in a case designed specifically for a P.
  3. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

My 2009 Fender MIA Pbass V came with a Fender hard case that also fits my 2006 MIA Jazz V, no problems.

5sg.
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Same here, the SKB molded plastic case on recent models works for both my Jazzes and my Squier P.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deedubs

Deedubs

my 1998 case for my american p also fits a jazz.
  7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Interesting. I have a '76 FL P-bass that came in what looks like a ~15-20-year old Fender case (tolex w/ black plush and small metal Fender logo by the handle) that I cannot use for my FL Jazz. So, I guess the morale of the story is to check it out in person, or ask for dimensions before buying.

I stand by a portion of my earlier post however: if indeed the case is made specifically for a P-bass, you can't fit a Jazz in it. It appears that Fender has been making more recent cases that are designed for both; slightly oversized for a P-bass and snugly fit a Jazz. Note that the OP asked if a P-bass case can be used for a Jazz. Well, there's more than one answer to that question.
  8. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You have to look at the shape of the case interior. If it is shaped for a J body, which is angled at the bottom, the P won't fit, because it is flat across the bottom.

If you want to be sure to fit both, you need one of the generic cases where the cavities are just rectangular.
  9. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Well, yes and no. The 70s cases had a curved wedge in the corner near the forearm contour and were large enough to fit a Jazz snugly and a P-bass with some room.

But point taken - certain case interior designs can make a smaller bass hard to fit simply because of the geometry.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Depends on the case. Many manufacturers make their cases to fit both. Others do not.
  11. Deedubs

Deedubs

[​IMG] this style fender case fits both!
  12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Every Fender brand case that I have had or even seen from the junk 80's style with recessed Fender logo that all the feet fall off, to the Red Label bass shaped moulded case through the longhorn and early AmStand Series, to the next moulded case that came along with the AmSeries (bass outline on outside, pebble finish), to the cheaper version of the same case with only one strap to hold the top up, and the smooth sides with only the Fender logo on it (like in post 10), to the current rectangular case with the TSA locks has fit both P and J's ... so I would say it is pretty safe to buy anything from those eras, as long as it is a Fender brand ... aftermarket may require measurements, but most will tell you if they fit both ...
  13. warnergt

warnergt

I have a P Bass case that looks exactly like that. It came with
    my 2006 American Series P Bass. My 2011 MIM Jazz bass
    does not fit in it.

Is there a case in that style that accepts a Jazz bass?
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Warner, every case I have ever had like that, probably about 8-10 of them have fit both ... I have had a lot more J's than P's though, and never bought a P new, so I guess its possible .. I will try and find out more info for you ...

...they actually make two cases that generally look like that (shape) ... the earlier one had two straps for the lid, a more pebbled finish, and both FENDER written on it and the outline of the bass body raised ... the later one is like the pic, one strap, smoother finish and just Fender, no body outline ... the later is noticably of lesser quality than the earlier one ...
  15. warnergt

warnergt

Here's a look at my Jazz bass trying to fit in the P Bass
    case. In the first picture, it can be seen that the body of Jazz
    won't fit down into recessed area.

I'd like to get a case like this that fits my Jazz bass. All I see
    from Fender is that rectangular P/J case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Deedubs

Deedubs

that wasnt a pic of any of my cases. i have a 98 case (red label) and a early 2000's case that looked similar. they fit both for me. hmmmm. i guess they made some that didnt fit both.:meh:
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have the earlier case (2 strap, body outline, etc...). Just tried it because I have always just assumed that my Jazz basses would fit. They do not fit.
  18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Warner, much like Turock, of all the cases I had of that style, the pre 2000 Red Label, the early American Series with the two straps, etc and then the later American Series case as you have pictured (one strap), probably over a dozen easily they all fit both P and J .. so evidently the J case will fit the P, but as attested to on this thread, and after speaking with others that have been at this game as long as I have, there were limited runs of just P cases in both the American Series editions ...

... with that said,I need to apologize for my earlier statement that "if it says Fender is probably safe to say it would fit both" ... as that is obviously not true .. sorry if it cause any inconvenience for anyone .. its a continued learning experience I guess ...

... anyhow, I dug through my storage, and found a case that is the style that you have pictured (single strap, smooth finish, Fender logo, no body outline), and if you measure from the outside of the top of the case (with lid open) to the outside the case at the point where the strap connects at the bottom in a straight line, it measures 48 3/4" ... this case fits a Jazz bass, have had many in it .. I forgot I even had this case as I have gone to the rectangular TSA style ... so, if you measure the P case you have pictured, and it is shorter, you could probably just have whatever case you find checked by my measurement to make sure it would fit ... IF it measures the same as mine, then we know it is a matter of the interior mould being different, and the shell the same .. then we will figure out another way to tell the difference in case you cant just try your bass in it in person ...

BTW, thats a great looking Standard Jazz ... is that the limited run copper (bronze?) metallic burst? .. its a beauty !!

Edit to add: ... feel free to PM me if you want any specific measurements taken also ...