1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

P-Bass Case is a J Case???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anderson4, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Anderson4

Anderson4

Just bought a P-Bass from GC yest. SKB case it came with is the shape of a J-Bass. GC tells me that Fender has one case for both the P and J. Due to the different shape body, the P fits in the case but there is a huge amount of "extra room". Anyone know if this is true? Fender ships cases that fit both the P and J rather than have specific cases to fit each body style? Thanks
  2. zaviere

zaviere

Yep looks that way. I know for sure the fender (non-skb) has the mold inside the case for a jazz bass but the p-bass is supposed to fit in there as well. I don't know how well for sure but yeah I'd much prefer a case that is specifically for precision.
  3. Anderson4

Anderson4

I was pretty surprised cause the P does fit but it's the wrong shape for the case, so it's pretty stupid in my mind.
  4. Joedog

Joedog

Sounds weird, but maybe that is a new cost cutting policy? My old case fits a P bass perfectly. Then again maybe they were BS'ing you??
  5. Anderson4

Anderson4

Yup. That's what I thought but the sales guy brought out the shipping box that said it was a "P/J case". I am sure it's done to save $, but really? That's just dumb. Don't give me a case that a base will move all around in. Regardless, the bass is sweet!
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

My 2011 Fender American Standard Precision Bass V came with a molded SKB case. It's designed for both a P and a J, yes. The amount of extra room is minimal, and only down by the control edge. It's still hugged snugly around the middle and top.
  7. jordak

jordak

P or J basses fit inside Fender bass cases quite well. They also have the same shape case for strats and teles. I've packed many Fender (and similarly shaped models from other brands) into cases made for either body style just fine.

Fender knows what they're doing and their company's style always has been to make their products modular and cost effective (bolt on neck, flat headstock, front routed electronics, are all reflective of that design goal)
  8. northernmonkey

northernmonkey

My Fender guitar case fits both a tele and a strat. It doesnt suprise me that the bass case fits a P and a J
  9. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

10. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

I think it's great. All my basses use the same case. I only have two tsa cases since I take two basses to our shows. The rest of the cases I sell. I don't like how much room they take up.
  11. kakao

kakao

I thought I got a wrong case, too when I bought Deluxe p bass. Sale guy had to check all the Fender cases and he confirmed they make P/J case. I haven't had any problem with the case but I think they should make p bass case!
  12. Anderson4

Anderson4

Thanks for the responses guys. Glad to hear this is how the cases are done and that there's no issue with it. I will say, it is surprising though.
  13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The SKB is more of a universal case to fit a host of different basses. Even the J's and P's move around in mine even though it's J shaped. It's not a snug fit.
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

There where P bass specific cases made during the American Series years (2000-'07) ... they were the bass shaped case, not rectangular ... there were actually two different versions of this case, the one used the first couple years had a more of a 'pebble' finish with the outline of a bass body on the top, and the other was very smooth finish, with just the word Fender on the top ... the pebble finish had 2 straps to hold the top when open, the smooth finish only had one .. interestingly enough, at least the earliest versions of these also actually had the mould cut to even fit the elongated upper horn of an '89-94 Longhorn bass ... I think that would have been a hold over from the Fender 'Red Label' cases ...

All the rectangular cases that I have seen Fender use fit both a P and a J ... when I have used a P, I just rolled up a small towel at the body end to help secure it ...